Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import DWG to create drawing file

Genius
Genius

Hello,

I am a recent NX convert from SolidWorks, and am having difficulty replicating one of the things that I found useful in SolidWorks.

I wish to import a drawing in DWG format to use as a template for an NX drawing file. In SolidWorks, you could open a new drawing file and simply drop the DWG file in. However, importing the DWG file in a new NX drawing does not seem to do anything, despite going through the usual command prompt-style dialogue. Opening a DWG imports the file into a new modelling file, which I do not want.

I have tried importing the DWG using the 'Import DWG/DXF' tool and the 'Import AutoCAD block' tool, and neither have worked.

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPGThe screenshot on the top, the block importer, recognises the file components but doesnt have any option to actually execute the import command, whilst the one on the bottom, the DWG/DXF importer, clearly recognises the contents of the dwg but doesn't actually create any geometry when the command is completed.

I'm baffled, but perhaps I don't understand what I'm doing enough. I realise that this is a long post, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES

Re: Import DWG to create drawing file

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

By default import brings in viewports as model views.  You have the option to import them as drafting views as well.  Do you see any views created in the model navigator?  Also what do your layer import settings look like?

Genius
Genius

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I don't see any drawing views in the part navigator (attached - same thing as model navigator?). Layer settings screenshot also attached.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPGView after importing DWG

Cheers,

Alex

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Default import settings come across as model views.  Go to modeling application, look under part navigator and expand model views.

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Use the DXF/DWG import wizard. In the input and output section, choose to import to "new part"; doing this will allow you to specify where to send the geometry in the "options" section of the wizard. The geometry can be sent to modeling, a drawing sheet, or a drawing view. If you import the DXF/DWG to the work part, you do not get the option of specifying where to put the geometry (I don't know why this is the case).

Genius
Genius

Thanks, this worked a treat! I found that it imported the geometry offset from the print area marked by the blue dotted line - is there a way to move my geometry? The imported DXF is exactly A3 size so it should fit exactly into the print area. 

Sorry if this is v. basic, but again this is something that I could do in SolidWorks.

Cheers,

Alex

EDIT: I wondered if perhaps blocks could be created, and one could move the blocks - is this possible? I might be expecting there to be too many similarities between NX and SW.

Genius
Genius
Thanks for the reply! cowski solved the problem below; I think I was missing a step in the Import wizard.

Genius
Genius

I have solved the issue of moving my geometry by using the 'Groups' area in the Part Navigator of my drafting window;

- Right click on an empty group

- Assign geometry and an appropriate name

- Right click on newly-assigned group

- Select 'Move Object'

- Select Dynamic mode, tick 'move handles only'

- Move handles to desired (0,0) position of template

- Untick 'Move handles only'

- Move handles to (0,0) position of modelling area

- Apply