Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Import NX Ideas to NX11

Pioneer
Pioneer

Is there a method to import old IDEAS files into NX 11 without losing the history?

We would like to bring all of our old 3D models in from IDEAS in order to leave it behind completely and now have NX11

18 REPLIES

Re: Import NX Ideas to NX11

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Do you have teamcenter.  You need to look into the Content Migration Manager.  CMM.  Good luck with the Migration.  I think it can be ran with or without teamcenter.  We always ran it within our teamcenter.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Possible to walk me through this? 

We do not use TeamCenter... Nor can I find it installed.

Gears Phenom

The CMM is a tool provided from Siemens to Migrate your I-Deas data from I-Deas to NX.

Are you still using the old I-Deas TDM?  Team Data Management.

To get the CMM tool you need to contact your Reseller.  Siemens provided us with training on how to use this tool.  Do a search on this forum for CMM and it should have a lot of information for you.

Pioneer
Pioneer

I can't find Team Data Management installed either...

Is Team Data Management and Team Center two different softwares? 

And what is their full purpose?

I'm searching through for CMM and Content Migration Manager but can't find instructions on how to locate or use these tools.

Gears Phenom

The TDM is the old I-Deas Library, I-Deas used this to manage it parts, assemblies and drawings.

What kind of Old I-Deas files do you have?  Are these model files?  

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Forum/Ideas-to-NX-CMM-forum/td-p/300299

Hope this helps

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I'm facinated that this is still a topic nowadays. I was the I-DEAS to NX special interest group leader years ago when this was still a hot topic.  That group is no more.  We and many other customers migrated years ago and thus interest has wained.

Use this search to give you a list of the many I-DEAS to NX presentations on this topic (including mine) over the years:

http://www.plmworld.org/p/se/in/q=I-DEAS

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Pioneer
Pioneer

sdeters,

Looking through our Drives we have .mf1 files.

Yes, Model files. 

Going through the link provided, they provided another link to PLMworld. I'll be setting up an account there to gain access. 

Pioneer
Pioneer

Larry,

Unfortunately we have had a not so easy transition to our NX11. 

I am now pushing towards migrating everything from I-DEAS over to NX11.

How painful and during can this process be? 

Can the migration import successfully the history within model files over to NX11?

I'm sure this is an extremely outdated subject but I have so many questions on this now that I see many have gone through this process.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You'll get a VERY good feel of how painful it can be if you read through those old presentations in that search link.  I have to assume many of the migration/transition bugs that plagued us have been fixed by now (ten years later), but the planning, data cleanup, and migration process can be complex and take a long time to complete.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,