Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Points with Descrip

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

Is there a way to import points with its name into NX ?

I use option Import-Points from file. I have my all 100points in a text file. Even with the point name after the co-ordinates after importing i could not find its name anywhere in the point's properties?

Help me through this !

Thanks

15 REPLIES

Re: Import Points with Descrip

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

'Points from File' will create the points based on the co-ordinates present in the file. It will not create the points with name though it is present in the file.

You can assign the names to the points with indexing option as shown.

POINTNAME.PNG

To view the names of the points/objects in UI, set the option 'Show Object Names' under the modeling preferences.

Menu > Preferences > Visualization

POINTNAME1.PNG

Regards,
Ganesh

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks for the reply @GaneshKadole...

This method gives control over point names, which is very good if I have few points, so that I can go and pick them in order.

But I have it like 100 points, and need to map them so that I can refer it with drg in the same order.
How can I get the control on the selection of points' precedence. If I select them by the mouse window, it gets gets selected , but renames it in NX window selection precedence, which is not intended.

Also, It gives the indexing only with numerals. But I need to name them with Alphabets.. Point_A, PointB and so on...

Is there any alrenate solution to this ?

Thanks

Siemens Phenom

Hi,

I am not sure if this can be done OOTB but Knowledge Fusion is one of the options you can try..

It will help you import points from an excel file and also impart point names (as in the excel file) to the resulting points created on the screen. Then you can display the point names as below.

points.jpg

Regards

Kapil

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

You might want to see if there is an "import points" journal somewhere (I'm pretty sure there's an "import points" GRIP program, but I don't think that will help you)

Possibly the soluctions database:

https://solutions.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/

If you can find one, then you should be able to modify it to parse out the name & name each point as it gets created.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

We have been working with Siemens to import, and export points with their names, for awhile now, without much luck.  I know it can be done, if you look at this topic, the exporting portion has been demonstrated by using a journal.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Forum/Points-and-vectors/td-p/340947

I would suggest submitting an ER, and I will gladly second the motion.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Siemens Phenom

Hi @sathya,

I searched Solution Center and found one example that works - @Ken_A was on the right track with the Grip file (though I didn't check the international grip library).

You can use the following GRIP file in Solution Center: create named points from file

I compiled it and it works in NX10 (attached for your convenience).

To use it, select "File > Execute > Grip" and browse for the grx file.

When the dialog opens, enter the complete path (and filename) of the points file.

Per the instructions, the data file should be comma delimited; name, X, Y, Z

Regards, Ben

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I also just heard back from our contact at Siemens, and during PLM World, he discussed the import/export of named points with the NX Open Project Manager, and they are going to tackle the issue, so hopefully we will have a good solution soon.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Siemens Phenom

To use it, select "File > Execute > Grip" and browse for the grx file.

When the dialog opens, enter the complete path (and filename) of the points file.

Per the instructions, the data file should be comma delimited; name, X, Y, Z

GRIP program works great. Only concern is, it does not create the group containing the points which gets created by using the command 'Points from File'

named points.PNG

Regards,
Ganesh

Siemens Phenom

I believe it's easier to add 100 imported points into a group than it is to manually name 100 points.  I tried your way @GaneshKadole using the Import Points from File command and the points were not named in order (I rectangle selected the points to complete this in a single operation):

Screenshot - 5_22_2017 , 10_40_54 AM.png

The grip allows the points to maintain the names already assigned in the point file, rather than adding an index after importing the points.

Regards, Ben