cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import assemblies from test server teamcenter to production server teamcenter

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi all,

We started working with teamcenter in a test environment. Due to deadlines we started to do projects in the test environment. Now we want to start moving projects with assemblies en drawings into the production server.

We have standard bolt and nuts autogenerated in the 100000 serie in both environments.

We use an autonumbering system for designing parts in the 200000 serie

I started with exporting an assembly from teamcenter test environment to a local disk. With the function
"export assembly"

Then I imported the assembly into the production server with the function "import assembly".

I set the numbering function to be the same as in the test environment because some parts are released and send to suppliers. If the numbers are not the same different drawings can have the same number and vice versa. this will cause a lot of trouble.

For the 200000 series this went oke. 

Unfortunatly we run into the following problem:

Bolts and nuts in the assemblies will be assigned in the 200000 series as well, but we want to let teamcenter search in the production server for the bolt and nuts. 

For example (see attached screenshot):

The number 200219 is made for a component which had to be in the 100000 serie (105252). It is possible to replace the component with the "replace component" function. Unfortunately we lose then a number in the 200000 series. Because the part (200219) is also empty we can not find it in the teamcenter database. Therefore we will not be able to use that number anymore. Because we have a few projects with around a thousand parts in it we would like to know if there is a solution for this.

My question is:

Is it possible to make teamcenter search in its own database when importing a file with the function "import assembly". 

Is there another function to use?

Kind regards,

Arno KleinJan

3 REPLIES

Re: Import assemblies from test server teamcenter to production server teamcenter

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @AKleinJan,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you want to maintain the original ID's for the hardware, and search the database if they've already been imported.  If that's the case, you'll need to set your numbering source on the Import Assembly dialog to "OS Filename" and the Conversion Rule to "As ID and Revision".  This maintains the original ID and revision and would not waste unnecessary 200000 numbers.  Unless you're using "Part ID Generator", the import command searches the database for existing item ID's and depending on your setting for "Existing Part Action" you can either "Overwrite", "Use Existing" or create a "New Revision" for the items that exist.  You can override this default parameter for individual parts using the "Existing Part Action" column once the parts have been imported.

OOTB, it's not possible to use a combination of the "OS Filename" and "Part ID Generator" Numbering Sources, so you either import the parts using their existing filenames (as exported from your test database) or you generate new ID's for all parts.  However, if you disable the Teamcenter Integration for NX Customer Default: "Automatically Assign Attributes to Parts with Added for Import", you can switch back and forth between the Numbering Sources on-the-fly, allowing you to multi-select parts from the table of parts being imported and "Assign" values based on that Numbering Source.

Another solution to consider is the Teamcenter import/export utility: "Tools > Export > To PLMXML".  If you have managed datasets other than NX (e.g., JT, word, excel, pdf, etc) in your test environment and want to migrate all of data to the production server, this utility will maintain those datasets and import them into the new server into their respective item revisions.

Regards, Ben

Re: Import assemblies from test server teamcenter to production server teamcenter

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi @BenBroad,

Thank you for your reply.

Basically what you are saying is to use the export and import plmxml function from teamcenter itself to get all data from test to production server. 

The plmxml export function does have different transfer modes. If I understand it right the function to use is ConfiguredDataFilesExportDefault to transfer all data to the other server.

I used the structure manager to select all parts within a revision. Is there also a way to transfer the whole item including revisions?

If I just select the item then only the item is transported but not the parts in the assemblies on lower levels.

Kind regards,

Arno KleinJan

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @AKleinJan,

If I understand it right the function to use is ConfiguredDataFilesExportDefault to transfer all data to the other server.

Correct

I used the structure manager to select all parts within a revision. Is there also a way to transfer the whole item including revisions?

This is how I've used it successfully in the past.  I sent the assembly structure to SM, highlight the entire structure and select "Tools > Export > To PLMXML".  I believe the utility uses the ug_clone utility in the background and it will export the revisions identified in the structure (based on the SM Revision Rule).  I have not tried exporting all revisions - I wouldn't know how to do this using this utility.  Maybe someone in this forum with more experience will chime in.

Regards, Ben