Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import dwg as Usable Sketch Entities

Creator
Creator

I'd like to import dwg data into NX11 as actual, usable sketch entities, or at least as entities from which usable sketch entities can be produced. With the methods I've seen discussed so far in this forum, the data comes in only as curves floating in space, apparently unrecognizable even by the Project Curve command. The imported data is apparently of no use at all in creating 3D geometry.

Is anyone aware of a method for making usable sketch entities from imported dwg/dxf data?

7 REPLIES

Re: Import dwg as Usable Sketch Entities

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

The external dwg impot export should have a setting which turns curves from the Dwg to sketch curves. 

Creator
Creator

I agree, but I'm unsure whether you're saying it should have this funtionality, or that it does have it. If it does, I'm certainly not seeing it. Smiley Sad

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

In the External Import settings,  change  Model data to Drawing sheet and then a switch command comes up to create sketch curves.  I thought this was an option in modeling also. 

I was wrong about this I am so sorry.

Then may be able to export these sketches to 3d. if you have the NX layout license. 

Phenom
Phenom

If the dxf/dwg is imported to modelling

Have you looked at "Add Existing Curves" in the sketch environment?

Add Existing Curves

or in NX11 

Optimize 2D Curve

Experimenter
Experimenter

You can select them and the info is: LINE with end point etc. definition, but you can't edit them...?  Whatsup with that?  Must be a way to transform them into editable objects.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Imported curves are editable, but they are not added to a sketch by default. You can add them to an existing sketch as mentioned above by @agrivas (you might need to project them into your sketch plane first).

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

When using the translator from inside NX there is a difference depending on whether you select import to new part or import to work part. More options regarding importing into drafting view or sheet sketches are displayed when choosing import to new part. You can then send model data to drafting sheets or views.

Please note that when adding many curves (like layouts) to a sketch is it wise to disable the sketch constraints and vertex display. Add curve to sketch will try to auto constraint all the curves if you do not disable these options in sketch preferences. The options you should consider about for large layout sketches are:

Create Inferred Constraints - OFF

Continuous Auto Dimensioning - OFF

Display Vertices - OFF

Display Object Color - ON

You can change these in your work part before the import, or in the template part that is used by the translator.

Once you have all curves in one or more sketches, you can perform curve edits using the synchronous 2D commands: move curve, offset move curve, scale curve, resize curve, delete curve. You can turn off curve finder in move curve, the curves will still stay connected and fillets will keep tangent conditions.

Regards, **bleep**