Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import step from Chinese CAD

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

we have a joint venture with a Chinese company and we are starting design together. We change file via step, but we are impossible to open them. There is a reason ?

Attached an example.

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

3 REPLIES

Re: Import step from Chinese CAD

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @cubalibre00,

My guess is that the Chinese characters are not being converted to unicode (UTF-8).  File > Open and File > Import failed to import this data into NX 12.  During File > Import, the command line reported "Could not determine format of file".

It's my understanding that if you open the STEP file in a text editor you should be able to read the header information - not the case with this file.  I also tried running NX using UGII_LANG=simpl_chinese, hoping that NX would read the Chinese formatted STEP data, but it also failed.

Have you tried opening the STEP file in any other products?  Can you get the data in any other format, such as Parasolid?  You might want to open an IR with GTAC so they can have development review the file.

Sorry, not much help.

Regards, Ben

Creator
Creator

Hi,

open the STEP file with a Text Editor: I see the first lines are damaged, the rest is ASCII Text. So I would say, the step or the zip is not OK.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Thomas_K,

thank you for your check.

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM