Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Assemblies into TCE from Native NX with Custom Names

Creator
Creator

Hello All,

Would like to know if there is a way to retain the custom names (Assembly1.prt, Spacer.prt, Flange.prt) given to the NX assembly, while trying to import it into Teamcenter along with part numbers generated by Teamcenter. (For Eg: 000012_Assembly1.prt, 000013_Spacer.prt, 000014_Flange.prt..Etc)

Currently we have an assembly in native NX with close to 500 child parts, and it would be cumbersome to track / update the new parts in teamcenter database with the custom names.

Regards,

-Ranjith

10 REPLIES

Re: Importing Assemblies into TCE from Native NX with Custom Names

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

When you run the Import to Teamcenter from NX you can create a logfile with a dryrun, you need to set the Numbering tab to autogenerate. After creating the logfile you can modify the logfile manually to set the native file name as de Part_Name. You can then use the modified logfile via the tab logfiles and load and apply existing logfile.Then the Name of Item in TC will be the old file name and the ItemID will be a unique number generated on your namingrule.

Hope this helps.

-Jelle-

Creator
Creator

Thanks a lot for the suggestion!!

It indeed helped.

Regards,

- Ranjith

Creator
Creator

Encountered an issue which went unnoticed this morning.

As per your suggestion, upon generating the log file post dry run, we are getting a new set of Item Id's which is not listed in the log file.

For Eg : Assy1 gets assigned 000015.prt intially and upon modifying the log file, the new Item ID in TCE would be 000016_Assy1 and not 000015_Assy1.

Regards,

- Ranjith

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Here's an alternative suggestion...

Solution Center has an article titled assign DB PART NAME attribute to all parts in specified native folders that you could use to run a journal in an NX command window against a folder containing your parts.  The journal creates a DB_PART_NAME attribute in each part and uses the OS filename of the part as the attribute's value.  You can then use the Import Assembly into Teamcenter UI, set the Import Numbering to Auto Translate and then set Default Name to ${DB_PART_NAME} to inherit the value from each part and set it as DB_PART_NAME in Teamcenter during import.

Here's a screenshot of the Import Assembly into Teamcenter dialog with the value set:import_into_TC.jpg

See also Solution Center article: 001-6477051

Ben

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

I don't recommend keeping the generic native part name (flange, assembly, shaft, etc) as part of the Teamcenter part name. Instead, consider using the generic name as a description attribute in TC. This way you can search for the term in TC to find the parts, but it won't leave you with goofy and potentially problematic TC part names.

Solution Partner Experimenter Solution Partner Experimenter
Solution Partner Experimenter

Hi Ben,

The workaround specified above worked for me as long as I used the NX UI (File --> Import Assembly into Teamcenter). But I have like 700 assemblies of 100 parts each to be uploaded before the production server is up. I had a look at both ug_import.bat , which now is deprected, & the tcin_import.exe utilities. We have either autogen or os_filename or atrribute. But I could not find a way where I could autogen the Item IDs & Revs and take Part Name from NX file attribute (DB_PART_NAME). Can the above import process achieved as-is using any of these utilities (preferably tcin_import)??

Thank you.

Shivkumar Birnale

TC11.2.1, NX10.0.3, AWC3.0

Creator
Creator
I went to all program NX9 and I run the NX command prompt :
then I cd to the ugii folder where the run_journal. available as well as I put the code

run_journal "<path\nx_api5222\nxjournal.cs" -args "<c:\assembly folder path>"

result nxjournal fail to open
{Raeed Kena}, {CAD Software Developer}, {your company name here}

Production: {NX 11 & Teamcenter}

Development: {Visual Basic} Testing: {NX 11 & CATIA}

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Be sure to remove the angle braces from the actual input. If there are no spaces in the path to the journal or the folder of part files, the input would look like this:

run_journal C:\journalFolder\nxjournal.cs -args C:\folder\nxParts

If a path has spaces in it, add double quotes around the path.

run_journal C:\journalFolder\nxjournal.cs -args "C:\my path with spaces\nx parts"

Creator
Creator
This worked fine as you mentioned that (Thank You )

run_journal C:\journalFolder\nxjournal.cs -args C:\folder\nxParts

and I have another issue >>>>

my setting now
Numbering tab :import numbering :auto translate
Default out folder : ASM
Default name :${DB_PART_NAME}

MAIN tab :default import action Smiley Surprisedverwrite
Excute :

Unexpected ERROr!
an expected error has occured
teamcenter error invalid tag nulltag(in is valid (2))- the requested object does not exist while importing
Cylinderical_Connect
you should check the state of the output part for problems
this error occurred while creating item,revision and/or data set
this error is fatal ,and the operation will be abandoned

and when I hit ok the log file created
and doesn't show the parts number as auto Generate in import numbering before

Thank You again
{Raeed Kena}, {CAD Software Developer}, {your company name here}

Production: {NX 11 & Teamcenter}

Development: {Visual Basic} Testing: {NX 11 & CATIA}