Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing DWG ACIS solids into NX 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

A company I am working for uses NX 10 for their designs. I personally am an architect and a user of Autodesk products like Autocad and Revit (2018, but also stumbled upon this issue when using earlier versions).

We are trying to import a .dwg-file created in Autocad into NX 10. The problem we have is that when we do so, the result in NX is just several outlines of the solids we've drawn in Autocad. When I just export the whole model in surfaces, it all works fine.

My question is, how can I import a .dwg-file containing ACIS solids into NX 10 retaining those solids to work with in NX 10?

Thanks in advance,
Sjoerd

5 REPLIES

Re: Importing DWG ACIS solids into NX 10

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend
I think you need to use NX 11 or later to get this working.
I have tried importing 3D DWG files into NX 12 with success. ( Including solids)
The Acis translator was new in NX11.

Regards,
Tomas

Experimenter
Experimenter
And is there any file format in which I can export an Autocad drawing in order to make this translation happen too? Maybe there is a command in Autocad to change the ACIS solids into a different kind of solids which NX recognizes? Or do you know of a plugin for NX 10 which contains this ACIS translator?

I will ask them whether they have an option of using a later version of NX to solve the problem. Thanks for the quick reply!

Sjoerd

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Does autocad have a export to STEP, IGES or Parasolid?

These formats we can import also default.

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Experimenter
Experimenter

It has an option to export IGES-files, so we're trying that too. Besides asking whether they are able to work with NX 11 or later, I just sent a bunch of different file-types to my client so that he can try them and let me know what works out best. Opening up the .dwg in Autodesk Inventor and saving it as a .dwg again might also make the translation from ACIS to Parasolids, so tried that too.

I'll post an update when we solved the issue. Thanks for the replies!

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend
The AutoCad 3D format is historically tricky to convert.
I have over the years spoken to several suppliers of standalone translators, and none have been able to help me,
- they have been pretty cocky of their abilities until i asked for 3d Dwg...
This is probably due to the Acis format.
I doubt that Autocad can convert to a different format.

Autocad can in later versions read NX partfiles whout any intermediate format. It will read the solids and nothing more. Autocad also reads JT format, IF the JT file contains B-rep ( Solids) .
If the JT file does not contain B-rep, Autocad errors out.

Iges is an old format, if possible avoid.
Step is ( still?) an add on license for AutoCad and therefore... the Autocad users do not want to use that...
If it exists, it works pretty good.

Go for NX11 or NX12, that is the simplest solution.

Regards,
Tomas