Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Models: Need to add expressions to dumb solids for deforming them

Experimenter
Experimenter

I deal often with supplied models, to mix with native designed parts and I am have the need to make them deformable. Two that popped up lately are a hinge and a drawer slide. If the hinge is three dumb solids, being two halves and a pin, how do I create an expression to set the angle of one of the hinge halves relative to the other so that when it's put into an assembly the user can deform it to make the door either open or closed?
Hinge is here: Mcmaster hinge 1609A1

This should be a simple modeling issue but I can't figure it out! If I create a plane to drive the angle with an expression, how do I attach the surface to it of the dumb solid hinge half?

I can't put the hinge it into our library with different part numbers for open or closed, and the user who is using the hinge in an assembly has no access to change the part in the library. (different department deals with purchased commodity parts)
Thanks

5 REPLIES

Re: Importing Models: Need to add expressions to dumb solids for deforming them

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Is this an assembly or a single part with multiple solids?

If an assembly, add assembly constraints.  If you can, set the angular constraing to point to an expression.  If that doesn't work, add a small sketch and the angular expression in it.

If a single part with multiple solids - I don't know.  Maybe do some "top down" assembly modeling and push the piece solids to their own parts, then apply above solution?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Experimenter
Experimenter

No, it's not an assembly, and I can't save this part to our library as an assembly unfortunately.  Even though it consists of 3 dumb solid bodies it must exist as a component. It will be consumed and added to an assembly, that's the point that I want the designer to have the ability to deform this hinge.
Our commercial parts that we buy that go in our library must exist as a part, not an assembly. They get a part number, relating to the manufacturers number. We use Teamcenter Unified and Enterprise and we can't break the purchased part up into seperate pieces in the library.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If it is a single part with multiple solids, you may be able to use the "move object" command with the associative option turned on. This will give you an expression in the model that will drive the position and allow you to use it as a deformable component.

Experimenter
Experimenter
Cowski, I think that may work. I had tried that the other day, but it turns out I was using Dynamic, and it doesn't generate an expression. When I used Angle for selection, I see it does.

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Defining Deformable bodies will do the trick.

Aside from that you can create and expression which will control the angle. You just need to "Create Single Interpart Expression" on the hinge model and link it to an expression in the top level assembly.

That way you can easily adjust the angle. Here is a link for an image for reference.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/media/gallerypage/image-id/18478i71FB4147C97CA428

Hope we can help you.

~Sen