Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information Window - Escape key - NX11

Pioneer
Pioneer

When the information window is the active window and you hit escape the information window closes and erases all information in the window.

This was not the behavior in NX9, don't know about NX10 and is now the behavior in NX11.

This has been frustrating for our users. For example, when using Measure Distance (with Show Information Window checked on) and hit escape on the keyboard it kills the information window because it is active. And if you open the information window again (Control-Shift-S) all the information is gone.

I am guessing this is intended behavior. I guess I just want to throw it out to other users and ask if this is an issue at all?

Can we at least keep the information in the window (even when it is closed) and have an option to clear it out? We have programs that are writing to the information window and would like that information available in their current session. Now if they have the information window active and hit escape they have lost all of that info.

Thanks for any input.

Duane

9 REPLIES

Re: Information Window - Escape key - NX11

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I don't have a solution for your info window problem, but as a suggestion for your API code..

Write to BOTH the "info" window (for immediate viewing) AND the syslog (if they hit escape, or if you want to review their entire history).  The SYSLOG info will ALWAYS be available (well...at least until they close NX)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

dvdubbaya wrote:

When the information window is the active window and you hit escape the information window closes and erases all information in the window.

This was not the behavior in NX9, don't know about NX10 and is now the behavior in NX11.

NX 9.0.3.4, NX 10.0.3.5 MP19
Information window does not close if ESC key is hit.

I am guessing this is intended behavior. I guess I just want to throw it out to other users and ask if this is an issue at all?

Can we at least keep the information in the window (even when it is closed) and have an option to clear it out?

As Information window enhancement is done in NX11 to show the information window in HTML format. Without closing the information window, one can use collapse/expand, save as, print and other available options. I do not see any way that will keep the information when you reopen it (CTRL+SHIFT+S) for the active NX session.

Ganesh Kadole, QA Analyst (PLM), SQS
Testing: NX 11 | NX 12 | TCIN
TC 11.2 | TC Vis 11.3 | AWC 3.2

Pioneer
Pioneer

Can we create an ER to no longer exit the information window with the exit key?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You can create an ER by filing an IR with GTAC:

https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/support/gtac/

(NOTE: This assumes you have direct access to GTAC.  I believe some VARs/??? may require you work through them?)

dvdubbaya wrote:

Can we create an ER to no longer exit the information window with the exit key?

I assume you meant "escape" and not "exit" key ;-)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Pioneer
Pioneer

Correct, "escape" key, not "exit" key. Sorry.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @dvdubbaya,

Per development, the Information dialog is now consistent with every other dialog in NX, i.e., hitting the Esc key closes the dialog.  It's unfortunate that the information is lost, but that was the case with the old Information window if you closed it (selecting Ctrl + Shift + S opened an empty info window).

Note that in the case where you have the Measure Distance dialog open, and you select "Show Information Window", cursor focus is placed in the Info Window, hence hitting Esc closes the Info Window.  If you select the Measure Distance dialog (placing cursor focus on this dialog) and then choose Esc, the Measure Distance dialog closes leaving the Info Window open.

Similarly, if you select 'Ctrl + Shift + S' prior to hitting Esc, the Info Window is hidden, and then the Measure Distance dialog closes when Esc is selected.  Clicking 'Ctrl + Shift + S' a second time restores the Info Window and the previous contents are still displayed.  Perhaps your users can adopt one of these workarounds.

Regards, Ben

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend
.... Don't we have other , more serious, inconsistencies to cure before this, non existing one ?
I agree that we never have had the information kept in the info window when closed, but applying the "escape" to close is , not a good solution.
To me "Escape" = "Cancel", and Cancel has never existed as an option in the info window, and does not now either.
You cannot close, say internet explorer, by pressing the Escape key. - Consistent with Windows ?

Dvdubbaya : -Open an Enhancement Request on this. mention the IR here. I will add to it.

Regards,
Tomas

Experimenter
Experimenter
I have the same problem
Did you find a solution?
Regards

Experimenter
Experimenter

I'm using "middle button mouse" instead of using "scape" it's a good solution..