Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inherit - settings source and replacement of shown object

Creator
Creator

In NX11 there is an issue in drafting preferences while using Inherit – Settings source- Selected object as follows:

Drafting Preferences --> Inherit --> Setting Source (Selected Object)

There are 2 drawing views created from different 3D Models not present in the same Item.

The intent is to replace test_1 view with test_2 view using Select object to inherit by following method:

• The view from test_1 is selected and right click- settings is selected.
  • The settings source is selected as Selected Object

The object to inherit is selected as the view from test_2.

After following the above steps the test_1 drafting component will be replaced with test_2 drafting component.

Result expected as per behaviour in NX9.

Result in N11 not as per behaviour in NX9 which is an issue:The replacement is not happening as intended. 

Please also find the attached videos from NX9 which is expected behavior.

Unable to play video. Please try again later.
(view in My Videos)

Please let me know, how to replace not only the settings, but also the object visible in view.

11 REPLIES

Re: Inherit - settings source and replacement of shown object

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Dabrowka,

I do not know the problem but I can't see the video, it's showing as 'Invalid Authorization Rsponse'. Could you please attach the video as a zip file.

Creator
Creator

@GaneshKadole can you check if you can open the file now?

Pioneer
Pioneer

HI Ddbrowka

The video to MP4 format, OK.

Thank youMan Happy

Siemens Phenom

Hi @Dabrowka,

I have checked this in NX 10 and the behaviour is same as you have shown in the video but not in NX 11.

What is your purpose to create views in such a way because the source part become as a reference part in the current drawing part.

Rather than using the inherit settings, you can simply copy paste the test_2 view from the part navigator and delete/remove the test_1 view from the drawing.

Creator
Creator

@GaneshKadole the working method let us to create a view in the very early development phase and then just exchange it with the newer verision. The example from video was onlny to show the idea behind.

While copy/paste we will lose all the dimensions which are already defined in the test_1 view. The pasted view will be exactly the same as the original view. While usage of the Inherit functions all the defined objects stay on the view, only the shown part is changed but the associativity with all already defined elements stays.

Siemens Phenom

Hi @Dabrowka,

I've confirmed that having set the Setting Source to Selected Object and selected a drafting component from a different part that the geometry in the view does not update to the different part in NX10, NX11 (and NX12), like it does in NX9.  Personally, I can understand why the geometry does not change - after all, the 'Settings' are intended to change the properties of the view, not which part it is a view of (which is similar to the Replace Component behavior that was removed from drafting components in NX9).

I couldn't find any existing problem reports, so if you would like development to review this 'regression', please consider opening an IR with your local GTAC support office.

Regards, Ben

EDIT

Per @GaneshKadole's reply, I retested and found that the component can be replaced in NX10.0.3 mp17.

Siemens Phenom

I've confirmed that having set the Setting Source to Selected Object and selected a drafting component from a different part that the geometry in the view does not update to the different part in NX10, NX11 (and NX12), like it does in NX9.

Hi @BenBroad,

I am using NX 10.0.3.5 and it is reproducible. Attached video of the same.

Creator
Creator

@BenBroad we have already opened a GTAC call and the answer was that the current process is working well, and that it was a mistake before. But we have already followed this mindset and have used this functions for exchanging the object in the view. How can we now exchange the object in the view? Or at least "update" the view with another object? Can you suggest any workaround?

Siemens Phenom

Hi @Dabrowka,

Bad news I'm afraid - as I mentioned previously the replace component functionality was removed from Drafting Components, so you're not going to be able to accomplish what you were doing in the past.  At this point all you can do is ask that your GTAC representative close your IR against existing ER#7137374, which asks that Replace Component be allowed on Drafting Components.

Regards, Ben