Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inspection (Bubble) Drawings

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way to create bubbled dimension drawings. For our inspection process we place a ballooned/bubbled number near each dimension. We've had the inspectors mark up prints but we want to start doing this at the drafting level. We don't use PMI, just basic drafting. I know there is a balloon tool, but that's a manual process to go through each dimension. 

Our designers did see an app for Inspection Reports called Majenta PLM that works with NX and will allow a mass creation of bubbles near dimensions. I was hoping there was something already in the drafting application that I'm missing.

Is there a plan to possibly add this feature in the future? Labeling dimensions and those labels associated with the print zones would be the ultimate goal, and possibly having that information go to a table.

We are on NX 9 still, it's a long process to go to new versions at this company.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Inspection (Bubble) Drawings

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Nothing that I know of that is built in to NX.

You could also look at BCT Inspector (https://www.bct-technology.com/)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Phenom
Phenom

Cowski wrote a program a couple years ago for us.  

http://nxjournaling.com/content/creating-qc-inspection-numbers-using-nx-journal

Here is a journal that will help add inspection numbers to dimensions. It is a bit crude compared to the dedicated programs, but may be a good starting point.

edit: looks like @sdeters beat me to it!

Phenom
Phenom

Yep sorry cowski.  We really like this journal.  We have been working on some improvements on it lately.  Have not got anything final..  Improvements would be searching and finding the last used number, and make sure the no numbers have been duplicated.  

@sdeters wrote:

Yep sorry cowski.  We really like this journal.  We have been working on some improvements on it lately.  Have not got anything final..  Improvements would be searching and finding the last used number, and make sure the no numbers have been duplicated.  

I always wanted to go back and add some polish to that journal: the items you mentioned and exporting all the dimensions to an Excel workbook. However, my duties shifted a bit and no longer include doing those inspection reports. I might still revisit the code if there is interest, but, for me personally, it's much lower on the priority list than it used to be. Smiley Happy