Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing multiple versions of NX10?

Genius
Genius

I need to have both NX10.0.2 and NX 10.0.3 installed at the same time.  Unfortunately, the setup detects the first install and won't let me do a second install.

What is the workaround for this?  All the other posts I see are for different primary versions of NX (e.g. 7and8, 9and10, etc)

8 REPLIES

Re: Installing multiple versions of NX10?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The workaround that I used when I was still doing this sort of thing was to rename the folder that the current version of NX was installed, perhaps calling it 'NX10.0.2'.  Once you've done that, then run the Windows uninstall utility selecting the NX 10.0 entry.  Now this will go fairly fast (much faster than when you actually do a full uninstall of NX since there are technically no files that need be removed) and once completed, simply install NX 10.0.3 (of course you'll have to start with a clean install of NX 10.0.0.x and then install the NX 10.0.3 MR kit)  Make sure that you install this in a different folder, say one named 'NX10.0.3'.  Now you can run either version (I always had a script to launch NX since I ran so many different versions so I's have a script for each version with the proper path defined to start NX).  Now as far as Windows is concerned it will only see the latest install as the default version of NX 10.0 but this scheme will work just fine.  During early development cycles I would often have 3 or more different development phases of the same version of NX installed, all of which I could run using their individual scripts. 

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

My basic procedure:

Install NX10 base (e.g. to C:\somewhere\NX10)

*Copy* the \NX10\ folder to \NX10.0.0.26\ (or whatever)

install MR1 (to \NX10\ folder)

*Copy* the \NX10\ folder to \NX10.0.1.7\ (or whatever)

install MR2 (to \NX10\ folder)

*Copy* the \NX10\ folder to \NX10.0.2.6\ (or whatever)

install MR2-MP1

*Copy* the \NX10\ folder to \NX10.0.2.6.MP1\ (or whatever)

install MR3

(repeat ad nauseum)

You end up with a bunch of folders in C:\somewhere:

\NX10

\NX10.0.0.26

\NX10.0.1.7

\NX10.0.2.6

\NX10.0.2.6.MP1

with the "NX10" folder having the latest release.

At this point write a .bat to start NX, have it prompt for the version, then set UGII_BASE_DIR and UGII_SITE_DIR appropriately & run NX.

For teamcenter users...

I'm not sure if it is still an issue, but I think TC always looks for NX in the same folder, so what I do is rename folders as needed.

E.g. if NX/TC is looking for NX10 in "C:\somewhere\NX10", with the above folders.

Say I want to run NX10.0.2.6.MP1

rename folder "NX10" to "NX10.0.3.5"

then rename folder "NX10.0.2.6.MP1" to "NX10"

The "NX10" folder now contains the NX10.0.2.6.MP1 files.

(again, I have shortcuts on my desktop pointing to a .BAT file to do the renaming for me)

The only issue with renaming folders is you have to close ALL NX (and related apps) sessions (NX, Postbuilder, external translators, etc.).  Most of the time you do NOT need to close TC (just NX).  (occasionally if something gets hung you have to close TC as well).

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Genius
Genius

@JohnRBaker  @Ken_A  Thanks guys. Doing the install(s) now.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have a setup which looks at the actual version of ugraf that is started. I have only started with this recently. But so far this is very helpful in testing the 10.0.3 manufacturing templates without disturbing the 10.0.2 configuration.  A shortcut to the actual ugraf version is all I need to switch to the correct version.
NX itself uses UGII_FULL_VERSION for the correct version number. For 10.0.3 this is v10.0.3.5. So naming folders with this number makes it easy to differentiate between all versions.

I keep NX on a different drive. I install on one system and copy this somewhere else. Next update is done normally and the update version is copied to somewhere else in a folder with version number. 

W10 NX12.0.1.7

Note UGII_FULL_VERSION does NOT capture MP updates (it just captures MR updates)

So you can't use it to differentiate between NX10.0.2, NX10.0.2 MP1, and NX10.0.2 MP2

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Ken_A wrote:

Note UGII_FULL_VERSION does NOT capture MP updates (it just captures MR updates)

So you can't use it to differentiate between NX10.0.2, NX10.0.2 MP1, and NX10.0.2 MP2

Yes, that was a disappointment. OTOH, I hope an mp will only be bugfixes, not bug creations. 

W10 NX12.0.1.7

Note you can use "%UGII_ROOT_DIR%\env_print.exe -m" (and "-n") to get the full version including patch level, if you need that level of info.

Genius
Genius

@Ken_A can you post an example of the bat file? Also, I am trying to run a virtual environment of Anaconda/Python 3.3.2. 

Typically, I will activate the Anaconda/Python 3.3.2 virtual environment and then type ugraf.exe (see attached pic)

If I am using multiple installations of NX (10.02, 10.03, etc.) and the bat file, then will I have to activate the Anaconda/Python 3.3.2 virtual environment and/or load NX in a different manner?

Thanks!