Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intersection of two planes results in a nonassociative line?

Pioneer
Pioneer

When using the intersection curve command and selecting two planes, why is the resulting geometry a non associative line (as it explicitly states)? How can I make it associative?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Intersection of two planes results in a nonassociative line?

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Hi Baratheon, 

you can create an associative Vector or an associative CSYS in the intersection of the two planes. These can then be used for referencing in a sketch or creating additional geometry like lines.

01.jpgvector02.jpgcsys

Pioneer
Pioneer
What does the datum axis direction imply? What is the purpose of that?
Thanks for your help.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

A Datum Axis is a 'vector', and vectors have a direction.  And the direction of a vector is important for things like projections and other vector-related tasks.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Experimenter
Experimenter

The sort of short answer is that if you create and associative line from to plane, it would result in an infinite line, messing up a lot of stuff. Instead as  suggested, you can create an axis.

An other way to do it (sometime you need to snap on something)would be to zoom out a bit to give you space before you create the line so it's long enough to snap onto.

Hope this Help!

François Bergeron Advance NX User and Surface Expert

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

When using the intersection curve command and selecting two planes, why is the resulting geometry a non associative line (as it explicitly states)? How can I make it associative?

@Baratheon 

There are some enhancement requests present already requesting this behaviour/functionality

You can contact GTAC and request to get added for existing ER 2128719.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life. But one of the main reasons for creating an intersection of two planes is to create a line, or in your case the datum axis. The problem is the datum axis isn't recognized as a curve, so when I try to create a intersection point from a surface and the datum axis I can't do it. I guess you could split up the steps, but it would make the tree messier and if there are multiple intersections, you have to manually select which one you want in a complex curve.intersection datum axis.JPGintersection datum axis 2.JPG

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Baratheon 

You can use a sketch as per below picture instead of datum axis or intersection line. In this picture I have line on first plane which is collinear with second plane. It is in fact an associative intersection line between first and second plane. Then I extend the line enough to have a real intersection with third plane. Then I create intersection point.

associative intersection points.png