Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invert selection function NX9 in drafting

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello, In drafting on NX7.5 you could highlight a body in "View dependent edit" then choose "invert selection" then hide everything else, on NX 9 , this function is there but the "invert selection " doesn't work.

Has anyone else noticed this?

8 REPLIES

Re: Invert selection function NX9 in drafting

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello @DC1,

I have just tried this in NX 9.0.3 MP15 and here it seems to work just fine. Not sure if this is a bug in a previous version or not? But apparently not a general issue.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Dennis de Brouwer
Application Support Engineer
GTAC EMEA - Siemens Industry Software

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Dennis,

Our version is the same as yours. I'll have to have a look in the settings. I'll re-post if I can find

anything out.

Thanks for the reply

Best regards

Dave Clark

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello @DC1,

Just so you know, What I tested was create, 1 part, and add 3 Bodies in this part,

Create a new drawing (master-model). Add a view on this drawing, do the view dependend edit, select one body, and do the invert selection. This works fine for me.

Not sure if this is the same setup you use? or do you create the drawing of an assembly?

Kind regards,

Dennis

Dennis de Brouwer
Application Support Engineer
GTAC EMEA - Siemens Industry Software

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Could be dialog memory is doing something?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

Just to let you know my situation:

I have produced my model assembly  in modelling and switched to drafting mode.

Placed the views I required on the drawing sheets. Sheet 1 has the assembly views with parts list.

On the following sheets I normally place the individual parts of the assembly with dimensions for manufacture.

This was done in NX7.5 by placing the full assembly view on the sheet using the "base view" button. Next is to right click on the view and select "View dependent edit", select the "erase objects" button in the "add edits" box, select the body in the view that I want to keep and click the "invert selection" button in the "class selection" window. This used to leave the part that I want to dimension in the view but in NX9 it keeps all items selected and erases all parts from the view. 

I now tend to use layers more to just leave the part required in the view by using the "layers visible in view" button.

Thanks for replies

Dave Clark

Here are a couple of alternatives to using the "view dependent edit" command:

• Add the view of your assembly to your drawing sheet and use the "hide component in view" command to hide the ones you do not need.
  • If you are creating views of individual parts, place a base view and pick the component part file rather than adding a view from the assembly. This will add a "drafting component" in your assembly navigator and the view added to your drawing will contain only the part of interest - no wasted time hiding stuff you don't need.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello cowski1,

Thanks for your reply.

I do add component parts to an assembly draft but I find that this adds an extra body to the assembly.

This isn't a problem generally but I have to prepare an export file for manufacturing and this extra body shows up in the export file if I select all parts in the assembly, unless I only select the parts that I require.

I can get round things but it just seemed to be easier in NX7.5.

I haven't used the "hide component in view " so I'll have a play around with that.

Thanks again.

Dave

Adding a view from another part (i.e. using a "drafting component") will NOT add another body to your assembly. When adding a base view, in the "select part" step (top of the dialog), select your piece part of interest and specify which model view and scale to use. This will add a view (and only a view) of that part to your drawing; the view will be generated from the part file (not the assembly) and as such will not have the other assembly components in it. Instead of the normal "yellow cube" icon that represents a component, it will be a "yellow cube on top of a drawing" icon, indicating a drafting component. Nothing new will show up in the modeling application nor will it affect your parts list.