Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iray+ Rendering: Static Image Resolution

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

Even though I change the image output resolution to 300dpi, I get a 72dpi image when saving the static image. It does not save the dimensions either.

Settings.JPG     Properties.JPG

Why does this happen? How can I solve it?

MSV
NX 9.0.3.4
NX 11.0.0.33
6 REPLIES

Re: Iray+ Rendering: Static Image Resolution

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

I think the maximum DPI you can achieve depends on your display screen (standard displays support 72 DPI normally).  Achieving a 300DPI might require a better graphics card.

Best Regards

Kapil

Pioneer
Pioneer
Hi Kapil,
Thanks for your answer.
Anyhow, when saving a "High Quality Image", I can choose between 72DPI or 150DPI, if I select the latter, the image is saved with 150DPI. I don't understand why the Ray trace static image does not work that way...

It does not make sense to me to improve the render motor, that can achieve good-looking results, but can only be saved in poor resolution. Maybe @PattiLongwinter can help me?

BR

MSV
NX 9.0.3.4
NX 11.0.0.33

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Sorrry i am probably wrong....i can use SNAGIT to capture a 300DPI image...even when the ray traced studio outputs a 96 DPI image to me...

Over to rendering experts now.

Regards

Kapil

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

MSV, This is what I got from our development team.

In the example below, I have a 254 mm by 254mm size with a DPI of 300.

You will see that the saved image’s dimension is 3000x3000 which is correct since 254mm is 10inches, so 10inches X 300DPI = 3000 pixels.

You need to change the units from Pixels to Inches or Millimeters and then size the image accordingly.

Hope this helps.

300dpi_info.png

300dpi.png300 DPI

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks for your answer bevyboy.

The properties of the exported images are:

Dimensions.JPG

Should I understand that Ray trace is exporting a bigger image than it should be in low DPI, instead of having the proper size in mm but with a higher DPI?

Edit: Checking with Photoshop, I can ensure that the image is 41.67 x 41,67 inches. Then, I have to create a new Photoshop file in 300DPI and 10x10 inches and copy the image there, to create an image with the desired dimensions and resolution.

3000 pixels / 72 dpi = 41.67 inches

3000 pizels / 300 dpi = 10 inches = 254 mm <- Proper size and resolution

So, everytime I need a image in good resolution, I have to make this annoying step (that for sure is making me lose some quality, since it has to go through another processing step). Is there a way to solve this?

MSV
NX 9.0.3.4
NX 11.0.0.33

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend
It seems to be yes