Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is NX9 Dimensioning a step forward

Experimenter
Experimenter

As far as saving the files separately I would just say that if you were to leave your current job -voluntarily or involuntarily - you can take them with you. If you leave involuntarily, you may not have access to your computer again to retrieve the files. I found that out the hard way. I keep copies off site just in case, and update them periodically.

Also, when you make changes to your Customer Defaults, save your role before you exit your session. I've found that most CD changes don't get saved automatically. Saving the role keeps those changes.

Mike

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@R_Newcomb wrote:

can a role or whatnot from NX9 be saved and opened in NX10?

Basically this should work.  Now there might be some 'misalignments' due to changes from one version to another, but I generally should work.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@Good_Old_Joe wrote:

I don't understand the full action of roles etc and where and what it saves, etc.  I do know that every time I log off, my user.mtx file is automatically saved with the exact settings that I was using on that NX session and that the old "user.mtx" (exact name) file is gone forever within that folder location. 

A 'Role'' file contains that exact same data as does the 'user.mtx' file at the moment the Role is created/updated.  As for where it's saved, it's saved in the exact same place as is your 'user.mtx' file except that it's in a folder named 'roles'.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Experimenter
Experimenter
Or you can save your role file externally in customise - roles tab. I do
this because I use 2 PCs, so it's easy to keep them aligned.

Your user file is just the automatic "daily" save of changes.

Regards,
Carl Harrison | Group CAD/PLM Trainer | MIS - JCB World HQ | ( +44 (0)1889
59 4910 | ) +44 (0)7876 190 400 | *: carl.harrison@jcb.com

The contents of this Email communication are confidential to the
addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient you may not disclose or
distribute this communication in any form but should immediately
contact the Sender.
The information, images, documents and views expressed in this
Email are personal to the Sender and do not expressly or implicitly
represent official positions and policies of the J C B group of
companies ("JCB") and no authority exists on behalf of JCB to make
any agreements, representations or other binding commitment by
means of Email.

Re: Is NX9 Dimensioning a step forward?

Experimenter
Experimenter

One of my favorite features in NX drafting. It kills me that this has been retired - it's like they didn't even know it had that functionality when they coded over it.

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius
Wulfgang, specifically what feature are you referring to?
Highlighted

Experimenter
Experimenter

>specifically what feature are you referring to? 

Numberkey decimal places on highlighted dimensions (i.e. "1" for single place, "2" for 2-place etc.).

It was one of the truly great features for users from a productivity standpoint.

Creator
Creator

Wulfgang, 

Yeah, it really bites that this function is no longer an automatic feature.  I have shortcuts & hotkeys to change the dimension places, both before creation and afterwards, so it can be done.  My shortcuts were from the corporation/client which I work for. 

I think that you can create these yourself with the steps outlined in a couple of my previous posts.  It's a pain, but it goes pretty fast once you have the steps figured out.  And, you only need to do four hotkeys for setting the dimension before creation (I use "1" for x.x, "2" for x.xx, and so on).  To modify an existing dimension, I use "alt+1" to change to x.x, or "alt+2" to change to x.xx and so on.

Hope this helps!

Joe

Experimenter
Experimenter

Joe,

I searched your post history but couldn't find anything on binding the # keys to decimal places. Would you mind a quick tutorial? It would be most appreciated.

Creator
Creator

Wulfgang,

Oops, that was Ken A who had started the dialogue on page 7 of this thread and I added to it.    Here is a procedure from my spreadsheet:

To create custom functions:
a)   Stage NX command box as desired
b) Click favorite from the "gear" in upper LH corner
c) Save this command as a favorite
d) Create new button on ribbon
Right click top menu, customize,  new item, & drag "New User Command" to your ribbon
e) edit button action by choosing"Favorites" in drop list, and then choose the favorite you just created