Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is NX9 Dimensioning a step forward?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have been using NX for 15 years, and are heavily involved in training new users, and rolling out new versions.
Up to NX7.5 adding dimensions although not perfect, was at least a simple process, with MB3 allowing access to 95% of all the editing that was ever required by us. Indeed my standard line during dimensioning training is "its all on MB3".

we don't generally change arrow sizes, gaps, fonts, etc, as these are all pre set from the Seed part.

I am now testing NX9 and are really struggling to see how this is a better approach; it's certainly not quicker for those 95% of changes we make, either on button clicks or time.

As someone experienced in delivering support in a Design environment I know that I am going to take a great deal of flack over this, so I could do with a comprehensive explanation of how this will benefit us.

I work in a design environment, not software development world; do the two ever talk!

Sorry for the rant, but I have to sell this, so would be very interested in other views.

Martyn, Snr CAE Engineer, Renishaw PLC
NX10 Tc10
99 REPLIES

Re: Is NX9 Dimensioning a step forward?

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

I share the same feeling. Not that that is helping you much though...

I have some ER's on this...

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Frank

What specifically have you managed to get ER's raised for?

Regards

Martyn

Martyn, Snr CAE Engineer, Renishaw PLC
NX10 Tc10

Gears Legend

The (ESC) behaviour during dimensioning is one of them.

I just hate it that you immediately quit the dimension dialog after pressing (ESC) only once.

That used to be different. It's become my daily source of frustration. Smiley Frustrated

IR/ER 1995278

The Dimension Dialog doesn't remember it's settings:

IR/PR 1995279

Add appended text to multiple dimension.

IR/ER 1228548

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
on Win7 64bit

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I would like to see the shortcut keys come back.  1 thru 6 keyboard commands to set decimal places.  Or at least mak thesee accelerator keys. 

I have not worked with NX9 yet but I use this a ton in NX7.5.

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Martyn,

I’m sorry to hear that your initial review of the new dimension UI introduced in NX 9 has not been a positive one. This investment was a significant undertaking that targeted a number of goals specifically to move the dimension UI to the block-based UI framework to ensure these commands are consistent in terms of common UI look and behavior with the rest of NX. Other goals were to provide UI consistency across application environments, enhance on-screen interaction, simplify access to settings and the consolidation of commands (i.e fewer smarter commands). 

Per your request for an explanation of how this will benefit you here are some examples where the new UI adds value:

Consistent Block-based UI – In general the introduction of the block-based UI in NX has provided higher levels of usability and discoverability. NX users are able to accelerate through a workflow because of their knowledge and familiarity with common UI elements across the application. Prior to NX 9 the dimension UI remained on the legacy dialog bar UI framework. The workflow and interaction model was inconsistent with the vast majority of the NX UI and limited investments to strengthen this area of the product. Starting with NX 9 the dimension UI is now consistent with the rest of NX and leverages the benefits it has to offer (i.e. consistency, customization, dialog memory, etc.). The new UI has also enabled us to introduce a number of workflow improvements such as margins, alternate dimension endpoints, a configurable hole and thread callout and in NX 10 automatic/associative breaks, foreshortening symbols, jogs for linear dimension lines, single sided dimensions, etc. Another benefit of having a consistent UI is support for “Edit like Create”. Prior to NX 9 there were multiple dialogs and workflows for editing dimensions. In NX 9 create and edit share the same UI and interaction model making it easier to learn and use. 

Consistency across applications – Prior to NX 9, the Dimension UI differed between application environments. This inconsistency impacted learning curve as well as various workflows. For example you could not create a cylindrical dimension in the modeling sketcher amongst a number of other workflows and settings. The dimension UI is now consistent across applications making it easy to use.  

Enhanced on-screen interaction – Object handles have been added to provide an improved interaction model and easy access to common settings. For example when editing a dimension a hotspot/handle can be found on various elements of a dimension object. Clicking on these hotspots will display scene dialogs that provide access to common settings associated with each object. So for example on a Radial dimension you can access the Arrow Line hotspot to flip the display of the arrowhead inside or out. The Text hotspot for the Radial dimension provides an option to toggle ON/OFF “Radius to Center”.

Simplified access to settings – Concerned with overloading a main dialog with the many settings typically associated with dimensioning we introduced what we refer to as a scene dialog that provides access to settings that are more commonly modified during dimension creation and/or edit. These scene dialogs are co-located near the dimension minimizing cursor travel and eye movement when making changes. We also introduced a common “settings” UI mechanism that displays context sensitive settings (i.e. only those settings that apply to a given selection set/workflow) across the entire drafting application environment. These settings dialogs replace the legacy “Style” dialogs and make it easier to locate specific settings. Consolidated Drafting Prefences also leverage this settings UI mechanism and reduce the time and effort trying to find a speciific setting/preference.

Consolidation of commands – Prior to NX 9 there were 5 radial dimension commands. These commands each addressed a specific workflow; however, once committed you were not able to switch between measurement methods. In NX 9 there is now one Radial dimension command that does what the 5 previous commands offered.  Changing between measurement methods is quick and easy. Prior to NX 9 it was not possible to convert between dimension types (i.e. change between radial and diametral format or between a vertical and horizontal linear measurement method). Creating chain and baseline dimensions are done by toggling an option versus selecting from a number of dedicated commands. In NX 9 changing between these dimension methods (chain and baseline) requires minimal effort versus recreation prior to NX 9.

I understand from an existing NX user perspective there are some changes that will take getting used to, but I would hope that over time you and the team you support will find the benefits outweigh some of differences in the workflow for creating and editing dimensions. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Regards
Dave

Frank,

The ESC key on the legacy dialog bar UI had a different behavior than that of the NX block-based UI. Hitting ESC while any block-based dialog is open in NX will close the dialog. This is consistent with all of NX. If by using ESC your intent is to re-select geometry this can be done by moving the focus on the dialog. The References block on any dimension command highlights the current selection as well as allows you to make changes.

Regards,
Dave

Gears Legend

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply.

I realise that it's more consistent. But to me going back into a dialog is more tiring than just hitting ESC.

It doesn't make sense to actively deselect something that you wrongly selected; especially with dimensioning because it's only seldom you have to pick more than 2 items in a row.

Very short, I'm not happy at all with the new behaviour in this dialog. It really has become a daily frustration.

I'm sorry I can't be happier about it. I hope my ER will be overheard :-)

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
on Win7 64bit

Hi Frank,

I do not believe there are any plans to make a product-wide change to support ESC across all of NX and UI rules prevent introducing such inconsistencies by product applications; however, we will review this workflow in the context of a dimensioning workflow to see if there isn't a way to address the desired behavior another way.

Dave

Gears Legend

Hi Dave,

Thanks again for your comments. I appreciate your involvement on the subject.

This is the nice thing about NX; it's in constant evolution to get better.

My scope during Beta testing is mostly Sheet Metal. I'm sorry I didn't bring up things like this during beta testing itself.

Best regards,

Frank Huysmans

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
on Win7 64bit