Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is NX9 Dimensioning a step forward?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
I don't speak for Siemens, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no to adding the changes to NX9. NX11 is due soon enough so I would assume that NX9 will be on critical maintenance not long after that.
Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer
PhoenxPLM

Re: Is NX9 Dimensioning a step forward?

Experimenter
Experimenter
Thanks, Anthony. I don't use it often, but it was just more fuel for the fire.

Another annoying thing is moving components vs. moving objects. Make them identical, and make the ability to move them both at the same time. Also move object has a glitch. If it was used on point to point last, and you switch it to dynamic, it automatically rotates itself. You then have to apply, cancel, undo, and do move comp again, and then it will be on dynamic, without self rotating.

Re: Is NX9 Dimensioning a step forward

Experimenter
Experimenter
I'm pretty sure I've seen that one with the move, all you have to do is
press reset, its a dialog memory thing.

Regards,
Carl Harrison | Group CAD/PLM Trainer | MIS - JCB World HQ | ( +44 (0)1889
59 4910 | ) +44 (0)7876 190 400 | *: carl.harrison@jcb.com

The contents of this Email communication are confidential to the
addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient you may not disclose or
distribute this communication in any form but should immediately
contact the Sender.
The information, images, documents and views expressed in this
Email are personal to the Sender and do not expressly or implicitly
represent official positions and policies of the J C B group of
companies ("JCB") and no authority exists on behalf of JCB to make
any agreements, representations or other binding commitment by
means of Email.

Experimenter
Experimenter
Got a chance to use Layer Visible in View today. Thanks for jacking that all up too.

Creator
Creator

Update...  It's been about a year since I moved to NX9.  Today, I can say that while I don't have love for NX9 drafting, I don't hate it either.  Compared to NX7.5, I am probably in range of simlar productivity when considering the losses and gains of efficiency.  The gains of productivity were a long journey of creating hotkeys, creating custom commands, and then remembering to use those commands.  Also, I connected some of the hotkeys to the buttons of my Space Mouse Pro to even more quickly move me to the desired function.

For my use, NX9 can be made tolerable with enough hotkeys.  But, words of advice: 

a) Make a spreadsheet to keep track of your hotkeys.

b) Be sure to save a copy of your user.mtx file because all your handiwork can get quickly rubbed out.

As to whether Siemens will have it all figured out for NX10?    Oh yeah, of course they will.  :-)

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

"a) Make a spreadsheet to keep track of your hotkeys"

Not necessary.  Just open the 'Customize' menu, select the 'Keyboard...' button and then select the 'Report' button and you'll get a complete listing of all the hot-keys and accelerators currently in effect, whether they were pre-programmed or added by the user.  This report can be saved as a text file and/or printed.

"b) Be sure to save a copy of your user.mtx file because all your handiwork can get quickly rubbed out."

Just create a user defined Role as that will save a copy of the 'user.mtx' that you can access anytime you wish to by simply selecting your own Role.  That way if something does change in the ribbon, accidentally or otherwise, you just go back and reselect your Role and you're right back to where you were the last time you saved your Role.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Creator
Creator

Yes, the report as described in the previous post will indeed list the accelerators and hot keys, and you can cut & paste & whatever from that list.  The report might not be organized to your liking, but the report does show everything there.  Be sure to do a report in both modeling and drafting (and other modules, if applicable).

However, there is also another reason for creating a spreadsheet.  The spreadsheet also lists which hotkeys have been assigned to specific the button of your SpaceMouse Pro (or Space Pilot Pro).  Often times, a personwill forget what was created and where that function is assigned.   And, if you have two different 3DConnexion devices (for example, one for travel, one for office) you will want to keep record of which function is assign to which button.  

Saving user.mtx....  Why not save the user.mtx file?  It is not like it's dangerous to do so, or no?   With the user.mtx saved, you KNOW your settings are saved in a file which will NOT be lost if your IT department installs an updated release or whatever over the weekend.  Saving the user.mtx is an archive of sorts.  And, you can also then easily share your user.mtx file with other users.  Myself, I take great comfort in knowing that my hard earned settings are safe somewhere outside of NX.  I'm not all up on where roles are saved and stuff though.  

And bringing these two topics discussed together, should you share your user.mtx file with a coworker, you'll also want to send a copy of the spreadsheet so they know what is what.

This is my story and I'm sticking with it.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Your 'user.mtx' file, along with your Roles files, are already saved in your user profile so even if "your IT department installs an updated release or whatever" it will NOT overwrite what's in YOUR personal profile.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Legend
Legend
John,
can a role or whatnot from NX9 be saved and opened in NX10?
I've tried it, but i'm missing one of my custom groups.
Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.2 / Autoform r8 /WorkNC 2019 r1
Testing:NX 1855
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Creator
Creator

Saving the user.mtx file...   I don't understand the full action of roles etc and where and what it saves, etc.  I do know that every time I log off, my user.mtx file is automatically saved with the exact settings that I was using on that NX session and that the old "user.mtx" (exact name) file is gone forever within that folder location. 

BUT, I do know that *I* feel very good about going to saving my user.mtx file to capture MY settings and that I know this file can be restored if desired.  I spent many hours into building my ribbon, constructing custom icons, and building my hot keys.  It is certainly not foolish to protect this file.

For people interested in the location of user.mtx, search it out.  Your computer's location is likely different as I have a node locked license.