Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is NX9 Dimensioning a step forward?

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Dave,

I like what you have done in NX9 drafting and dimension.

I prefere left mouse usage then right mouse click.

One question, in NX8, during dimensioning, I was able to edit dimension that was placed.

For edit I mean edit style or tolerance.

Now in NX9, if I want to edit a dimension previously added during dimensioni, which is the step to ?

Thank you...

Using NX1867
RuleDesigner PDM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

thank you Dave on reply on this.

I'm one of the old nx unigraphic users missing all that shortcut stuff from UG.

I can see all that improvements in drafting, but I miss a lot of convienence I had  in UG

The daily dimensioning for experienced UG NX drafters, is now waiting for the context hot spot stuff activate/click here and there... 

has been only a one hit wonder like the arrows keys on the keybord I have to for text input.

You know there is a lot more.

regards

Uwe 

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi cubalibre00,

Thanks for feedback. I'm sorry, but I am not sure what you mean by preferring left mouse usage than right mouse click?

In answer to your question with regards to editing dimensions while creating dimensioning.

In NX 9 we introduced an edit mode that allows you to access various dimension settings. To access the edit mode you simply pause the cursor over the dimension and when the Edit Scene dialog displays click the Edit button "wrench". This will enable edit mode. A number of hot spots will appear on the dimension object allowing you to access scene dialogs that contain a number of common settings applicable to a specific object. For example Dimension Extension line settings versus Dimension Text settings. After setting the desired items you can toggle the edit mode off by clicking the wrench button and continue to place the dimension.

If you would rather place a number of dimensions and edit them a later time, here is a workflow you might prefer in NX 9. Double click on a previously placed dimension and the dimension will automatically be placed in edit mode. Make changes to the dimension and then without dismissing/closing the dimension dialog double click on the next dimension you want to edit to remain in edit mode. You can contain to do this until you have edited all the previously placed dimensions you want to change.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Dave

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi uwenx,

Thanks for your feedback. Regarding shortcuts, we added support for using arrow keys to define the desired appended text field; however, the change requires using CTRL-arrow to navigate through the fields. The reason for the additional modifier is that since there are items in a block-based dialog and/or scene dialog with text fields, focus is drawn to one of these fields meaning a key pressed goes into those fields rather than be processed by the dialog. The additional CTRL modifier allowed us to bypass this; however, overlapping assignments exist for some of the other shortcuts. Our hope is that the improved interaction model as well as simplified and contextual access to settings will provide value. We believe there are some things we may be able to do to enhance some workflows and are considering making some minor changes to the UI. We need to balance this with the positive feedback we have and continue to receive on the changes. I would encourage you to log ERs if there are workflows you believe require some consideration. Thanks again.

Regards
Dave

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Dave and others

As a recently converted NX9 user ( coming from NX8 / est. 20000hours of NX experience) , I have to share the frustrations of several other experienced users here and on other fora regarding the NX9 dimensioning.

I too have the experiance that putting dimensions takes twice as long and more mouseclicks

Sure the new UI looks nice in a demo, but don't forget there are users working 8+ hours a day with strict deadlines to get tasks done. I am taking twice as long as before to make a drawing and therefore cannot get my assigned work don intime.

I don't have to emphasize this is very frustrating

I'm sure there were as you mentioned a lot of valid reasons to change.

However, I read several entries in your posts : ... making it easier to use ...

THe fact that experiences users DO NOT find it easier to use should in my opinion sound big alarm bells.

If I want to create a cylindrical dimension, I need a toolbar button for cylindrical dimension

If I want to create a perpendical dimension, I need a toolbar button for perpendicular dimension

If I want to create a radial-to-center dimension, I need a toolbar button for radial-to-center dimension

If I want to create a angle dimension, I need a toolbar button for angle dimension

and with each of those direct access to tolernace and appended text input

With the "unfotunatly named" RAPID dimension , I have to set and reset evey time the method dropdown and wait and press edit....

I hate it

Hope this can set in motion the generation of at least a user definable toolbar with these options.

Regards,

Ronny

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Ronny,

20000 hours on NX and one post ?

I'm a NX user from NX3 and I'm a designer.

My eyes have for 8 hours a day NX in front of.

There are some difficulties...it's true, but I use the new dimension tool and I like it.

Please add example of your frustrations.

Criticism must to be constructive.

Thank you...

Using NX1867
RuleDesigner PDM

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Cubalibre00

I actually started in pre-NX day , I believe Unigraphics V15. so the 20000h estimate won't be far off. And yes first post on this forum, which should help to indicate I don't get so frustrated often :-)

Just one example:

creating a radius-to-center dimension with tolerance of +/-0.5

NX8:

-click toolbar button "radius-to-center dimension"

-select arc

-select tolerance type in "Dim Resource Bar"

-type in tolerance value

-click on drawing location to position dimension

NX9:

-click toolbar button "radial dimension"

-select arc

(wait)

-click "edit icon"

-click on dimension text

-select radius-to-center option button

-select tolerance type in "Dim Resource Bar"

-type in tolerance value

-deselect "edit icon"

-click on drawing location to position dimension

Now multiply this extra effort 100x / drawing

Sorry, I can not see this as improvement at all

Regards

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I agree with some of the veteran users and share in their frustrations - started with UG v11 and I've yet to be as frustrated when in Drafting as much as I am after less than a couple of days use of NX9, and I've yet to even create a dimension - I'm only trying to change annotation settings to meet customer requirements.

My biggest frustration so far is that I cannot change ALL text sizes or aspect ratios for, say, dimensions AND notes at the same time.  I have to select ALL dimensions or ALL notes in order to be able to access Text settings in the Settings dialog.  I can no longer mix entity types for editing Text settings.

I used to be able to do this in one shot in NX8 with the Style dialog after selecting both Dimensions and Notes, even some symbols/labels.

I just don't see how this is an improvement - I'm clicking more, and more clicks equate to more time, and that, in my opinion, is a hard sell as an improvement.  For whatever time is saved during creation, we're losing it once we go to edit it after placement.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6

Phenom
Phenom

My biggest frustration so far is that I cannot change ALL text sizes or aspect ratios for, say, dimensions AND notes at the same time.  I have to select ALL dimensions or ALL notes in order to be able to access Text settings in the Settings dialog.  I can no longer mix entity types for editing Text settings.

I used to be able to do this in one shot in NX8 with the Style dialog after selecting both Dimensions and Notes, even some symbols/labels.

I couldn't have said it better.

In general we lost basic but very good functionality and user speed.

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 12.0.2.9 Mach Designer
on Win10 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend

Builder
Builder
Hi All. I am on the same page with the experienced users. In my opinion ever since NX7.5 which was a great release) dimensioning with the software has deteriorated. With that said the new users at our company seem to just deal withit as they dont know better. To me i am now ever scared each time we get a new release as to what unpleasant surprise will pop up. I get it there are a lot of valid justifications by Dave and we do need to push boundaries with regards to advancements and so forth. I just wish there was a good balance between a "Designer" and a "Sofware Engineer" two obviosly are not speaking the same language.
NX12.0.2.9 Win10 64bit, Tecnomatix PS V14.1.