Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is NX9 Dimensioning a step forward?

Creator
Creator

Hey Fellow NXers,

My first post here (no flames please...) but I am no newbie whatsoever. I have been a very long time UG user- since 1982, (yes, I have been on UG for almost 33 years), back when it was owned by McDonald Douglas and was called McAuto.  I think it was called "Version 2" at the time?  I have recently converted from NX7.5 to NX9.0.

But, so anyway, to answer the original poster's question: 

Big fat "NO!!" NX9 is not a step forward, not even close. In fact, without a doubt, NX9 dimensioning represents a HUGE step backwards.  NX9 dimensioning is a disaster and Siemens should be ashamed of what they have done.  Whoever developed this monstrosity obviously does not actually use the software, but rather was trying to condense as much as possible into one icon click and then mouse all over to do the rest.  It was a sad day indeed when everybody at Siemens thought they had discovered something good with these changes.  I truly hope nobody got a good performance review from this mess. 

Please-  Just return to simple horizontal, vertical, radius, diameter, etc.  And, for crying out loud, streamline the process for appended text.  Are you serious with the painful double click time waster process?  I have to repeat the process on each and every dimension!!!  Restore it like NX7.5 and prior, where you can simply click an "up, down, right, or left" arrow and the appended test box opens up.

Oh yeah, and if you want some real "fun", go do some ordinate dimensioning.  What used to be an orderly fast method on NX7.5 and older, is now a multiple maze of pull-downs and RMB clicks that can drive a person crazy after 8 hours.  I called the help desk regarding manipulations of dog legs on ordinate dimensions.  They had to look it up and call me back because they didn't know either!   NX7.5 was simply double click the ordinate dimension and right click to toggle the dog leg on or off. 

Fortunately for me, I am a semi-self employed Design Engineer and unless I need to use NX9 to be compatible with my customer's CAD files, I have the liberty to continue to use NX7.5.  I would estimate NX7.5 is about 100% faster detail drafting and about 10% faster modeling.   Hopefully, I can continue to use NX7.5 and get my job done.

The NX9 modeling changes are a "meh" at best.

So, in conclusion, you get what I think of NX9- pile of garbage on a good day.  If I had paid money for it at Best Buy, I'd be demanding a refund.  Please, just get it fixed so that we can again work work with the efficiency of NX7.5.  If you need a advice from a real user, I work by the hour and I can be available.

Joe

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom
I've also found that Stacking seems to have been hosed in NX9 drafting. I can stack feature control frames as I have the FCF dialog open and am initially trying to place the frame. Place it anywhere else and I can no longer stack the FCF under any dimension. I get one chance to stack an FCF (and I assume anything else that is stackable - and that's when I initially create it). Moving it and trying to restack is a lost cause. Seems to be the default behavior - and didn't used to behave this way. Granted, I'm not using the latest and greatest version of NX9 (9.0.2.5), and this may have been fixed in a later release - but as usual, that's not doing me any good since GM says when I can migrate to a newer version.
Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.5.1

Creator
Creator

As someone who just migrated from NX 8 to 9, I wish I could give a standing ovation for your comments instead of just kudos. They did not consider real world work enviroments were deadlines and such need to be met. I am not sure how they concluded that adding clicks and having to search for the correct drop down to change text size or whatever constitutes an improvement. Perhaps they thought by decreasing productivity the the current user base it would require companies to hire more designers thus selling more seats. Or perhaps since many designers get paid by the hour they would implement changes to increase our overtime pay, that would be very thoughtful of them. As you can see by my snarky comments my level of frustration with these drafting changes is extremely high. At least I feel better for the moment until I return to my NX 9 session.

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

With some concerns raised recently in this thread it's clear that there are some that feel we're not listening. Customer feedback is important to us and I would like to give you an opportunity to share your input on the dimension UI/workflow in a webinar. If you would like to participate please reply to this post by Friday, December 5th and you will be sent a personal invite to the webinar via the Community. Please include your time zone information and I will try to accommodate all as best I can.

Thank you,
Dave

Creator
Creator

Dave,

Thanks for the reply and offer to include us in the next Webinar.  I would be happy to offer suggestions.  I will pull together the positives of NX9 Drafting, as there are definitely some good changes, but also the extensive list of NX9 negatives.  

Joe

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Gotta see this webinar, seems pretty scary and it wouldn't be the first step beckwards in the software. Still in NX8.5 so have some breathing room for now...

On Pacific time here.

Dan Iorga
Sulzer Pumps US

Builder
Builder

Hi Dave

I would like to aprticipate in the webinar it may shed some light on some things within NX9 and the apth you guys are taking. I ahve not used it but it would be very valuable for us to listen in on the discussions adn your feedback.

Please include me in the webinar.

Eastern Time Zone Canada.

Thank you,

Peter

NX12.0.2.9 Win10 64bit, Tecnomatix PS V14.1.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Dave,

We already met a few times during Beta in Cypress.

I would gladly join the Webinar to hopefully be constructive on the subject. Timezone Brussels (CET=UTC+1.00h) What day would the webinar be held?

Greetings,

Frank Huysmans

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 12.0.2.9 Mach Designer
on Win10 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend

Creator
Creator

Oops, forgot to include time zone.

Central time, US

Genius
Genius

We are going to switch to NX 9 in Q1 2015.

I would like to participate in the Webinar, and learn more about NX 9 drafting.

I'm in Mountain time zone.

Thanks