Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is NX9 Dimensioning a step forward?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

There were 2 webinars because of the time zones.

I was the only non-Siemens person in the webinar I sat in, so I am unable to comment on what was discussed.

Dave Wingrave may choose to post something however.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer
PhoenxPLM

Genius
Genius
Hi,

I was also there as a non Siemens person :-)
But I did not get to see anything - only vocals by phone.
Was like a blind man :-)

Due to time difference I could not attend the whole time.
I would suggest to upload it anywhere. I hope it was recorded...

regards,
Josch

Phenom
Phenom

Hi all,

Dave explained some of the things that have been changed in NX9 and NX10 to make things more consistent.

With these explanations it became clear why some "old" functions (like some shortcuts) don't work anymore. With the new dialog boxes the keyboard focus is often somewhere else compared to pre-NX9.

Now many "power users" that use Drafting very extensively were complaining that sometimes shortkeys work a lot faster than any dialog box. Dave took notice and he together with development will have a closer look at things. He will be in contact with some of us directly regarding some of the hot issues.

As I understood it will take some time to get a clear overview on some of the topics. It will also take some time to level out with the different teams involved to what eventually can be possible to change and what not. Dave will get back on this by the end of January, and probably hold another webinar to explain the outcome.

BTW Dave, thank you very much for the effort already.

And please correct me if I made a mistake somewhere Smiley Wink

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 12.0.2.9 Mach Designer
on Win10 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Although we haven't migrated to NX9 yet, I was there as an "observer customer"

I had emailed Dave W. with a couple ideas after the meeting.  He replied he would be out-of-office for a little bit, so if he doesn't respond here right away, don't be surprised - he had already planned to "hide" from us ;-)

Note he demoed how to set up "favorites" and add buttons to the ribbon with each favorite, which would then allow direct access to each sub-option, for those who want it.

I believe I saw an article (weekly/monthly GTAC email?) about how to do this for something else - but it should be in the docs.

Brief procedure:

- set up dialog the way you want for a specific set of option

- set up favorite (click on "gear" icon top left corner of DIALOG)

- create new button on ribbon

- edit button action -> choose (?)"Favorites" in drop list -> choose favorite you just created

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Ken

Just tried that, but cant see any way of retaining settings like, tolerance, orientation, etc.

Am I missing something?

Martyn, Principal CAE Engineer, Renishaw PLC
NX12 Tc12

Creator
Creator

The meeting was very good overall.  It's good to hear that Dave is listening to our concerns and explaining why things have changed.  Dave is very knowledgeable and very concise.  I understand why most of the changes needed to happen, but other changes were a case of tidying up too much.  I very much appreciate that Dave is willing to answer questions in an interactive web meeting. 

For people who were not at the meeting, I would summarize the lesson learned:  Very carefully, study closely the command boxes and left & right mouse button options.  From what I see, almost everything is all still there, but has a new home and sometimes those new homes are crazy places.  Roam around the selection boxes and check it out.  Also, read the functions' descriptions very carefully because some of the functions' descriptions are changed.  And, yeah, there are some casualities which are never coming back, which has happened with every new version over the years. 

Ken- Thanks for the explanation of creating custom functions.  I couldn't see the meeting (I could only listen b/c I couldn't get my meeting to fire up, grrr...), so I couldn't follow the visual part of the meeting.   If you don't mind, I'd like to add just a little more to your explanation of "create new button on ribbon".  (or, perhaps, you could edit your message to include this?)

Create New Button = Right click top menu > customize > new item > drag "New User Command" to your ribbon

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius
I couldn't agree more on the Ordinate Dimensioning in NX9/10. It's ridiculous. Placing ordinate dimensions is fraught with popup messages that you don't have your margins defined, you can't do this or that. It's a mess. As a long time advocate of ordinate dimensions and showing hundreds of people over the years just how easy it is to place ordinate dimensions on a drawing to now have to say yea, it sucks again really sucks.

Hold Shift to add a dogleg (jog) but you have to enter settings to edit the jog where in NX8.5 you had handles to drag about. This is much more difficult.

Phenom
Phenom
If you double click the jogged ordinate dimension and then the start point, it gives the handles of the jog to move.
Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

OK, you double click on the ordinate dimension (with a jog [formerly dogleg]) then select the square handle at the measurement object then the arrow handles for the jog become visible. Easy enough, different path. 

Jog_Edit.PNG

I still don't like the idea that I'm forced to create margins in order to use ordinate dimensions. Where in NX85, I could infer the margin by placing them where I wanted them. 

If I created ordinate dimensions in NX85 then edit them in NX(9)10 to add a dimension, I'm again forced to create margins instead of the dimension assuming I want it aligned with the existing dimensions. Since I'm forced to create a margin, it doesn't line up with the dimensions I've already placed. 

Phenom
Phenom
If you select Type=Single Dimension; Origin = Unchecked “Place automatically” will allow you to place anywhere you wanted.

Play with Activate Baseline & Perpendicular under “Baseline” if you want both X&Y.
Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW