Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Sketcher really necessary or does it just add more time (cost) to design work?

Creator
Creator

What is the purpose of Sketcher?

Do any actual benefits (not theoretical talk) outweigh the additional work a designer is required to do?

Firstly, anything that can be created in Sketcher can already be created using curves/features etc. so what is the point of introducing this additional work of switching in and out of the Sketch creation (= cost). Yes there are constraints - a theoreticians paradise, but of no real benefit for one-off custom designs.

Sketcher seems to be the opposite of utilising the KISS philosophy, and as with many 'enhancements' in the continuous releases of NX, although sold as seemingly beneficial, when actually used they are realised to be detrimental to lean design creation.(i.e. new draughting command layout)

A fundamental statement: I would like to see Sketcher dropped and design creation reverting back to lines/curves/features etc.

20 REPLIES

Re: Is Sketcher really necessary or does it just add more time (cost) to design work?

Legend
Legend

I mostly agree with you, yet sketches are useful in helping to tidy up your parts, very useful when parametric changes are needed and mandatory when optimizations are required.

I rarely use the Sketcher but I don't want it dropped actually :-)

Re: Is Sketcher really necessary or does it just add more time (cost) to design work?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Personally I find sketches much faster, and easier to edit, than "dumb" curves.  During the process of editing something created with curves, I spend more time thinking about how I have to edit it, than just typing in a number to change it in a sketch.  For me, the speed factor of using a sketch is critical, along with the stability of the parameters, and ease of revising it in the future (revisions, and doing a 'save as' to create a new part), will make sketches the preferred method.

That said, one of the beauties of NX is you aren't forced to use sketcher.  If you don't like it, don't use it.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Personally, I agree with Dave. Sketch makes it easier for changes down the road.. I started with primitive solids then went to sketches.

Sketches are easier to follow than curves and/or solids.

Using NX8.5.3

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I use sketching and that is how I learned to model. To us the sketch is the only way. We change our models, reuse our models, and have multiple user interact with our models. This lets us keep our design intent intact of how the model was built and designed. Also we can reuse our sketch dimension as PMI so we are not doubling up on PMI dimensions.

Each is their own and how they like to do things. Like how me a and coworker argue who's spaceball is set up correctly. So please let’s keep the sketcher and not force one way or another. The greatness behind NX is many different ways to achieve the same results.

Phenom
Phenom

If I’m not mistaken, only sketcher is taught in Official NX classrooms. So Basic Curves may disappear in future?

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Legend
Legend

should this happen, I would commit Unigraphicide Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

There is a Curve Operator and a Basic curve operator. Before removing basic curves, add bisect, string mode, and blend and trim to the Curve Operator.

All though, are this is built into sketch, and more.

-----------

Use sketch for 2D profiles of the overall part, 2D profile of features or the profile on a guide string where you will need more than one or two curve to define the shape

-----------

I used sketcher since Unigraphics v10. I thought I really was learning something when learning all the quirks and what was not possible to do in sketcher. What a waste of time.

Sketch is not like that anymore.

Sketch is very good when it is used for what it is intended.

If you want to design parts with complex 3d shapes were planes or 2d criteria are not defined, or the shape is defined by one or two curves, then curve operator maybe easier.

If you had time to learn and practice using sketch, you may find it easier and quicker for 2D profiles (best to use on a guide curve for sweeps).

If you are going to create a 2D curve profile, why not use Direct Sketch. It's simple and easy. If you need to modify it, you simply drag, add curves, add constrants or not, or remove them …., its all there.

When I design, I like to respect the fact that different people think differently. I will use curves for a design group that is uncomfortable with sketch.

Regular curve operator seems to work better for those who are thinking ahead of their design but not as much about downstream editing. These people can be very good in getting their design done in right first time. If there are no more edits, then that would be quick. For complex 3D shapes, quick shapes from curves for sheets, Synchronous Modeling, and simple curve tools really do well. This looks good to managers who like to see progress in 3d for the first design.

Sketch seems to be very good when it comes to the person who knows their 2D criteria but may not know the actual final design.

Sketch also helps and figuring out relations from one 2D shape to another easier and visually. Sketch can now be edited easily by those who aren't interested in the existing parameters and constraints with the new synchronous editing tools for sketcher.

Both are very useful for what they're used for.

Sketch along with highly parametric relations can make it very difficult if the design criteria changes. The designer needs to think about many possibilities from downstream users and there abilities.

Cord

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

This is an interesting discussion. Both sketch and "non-sketch" has their benefits, The (NX) sketcher is way faster for a power user compared to (NX)"Basic curves. Now Basic curves has maybe not been enhanced much during the last 20 years which in turn the sketcher has.  The problem with sketchers as such, is that they require knowledge from the operator to be both fast and powerful.  

As the sketcher develops over the years, it requires more and more knowledge from the operator.  I think that this is a well known fact at NX development, and they are doing what they can to try bridge the functionality/knowledge gap.

- the evidence of this is the recently added ( NX9 ?)  "direct modeling 2D" ( works on sketches only) and also the coming Catchbook,

- We all want the functionality of that really smart and really fast sketch / sketcher but are we prepared to the fact that we must both train and practice to use it efficiently?

Regards,

/ Tomas

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Note that we're continuing to add some very nice, albeit minor (but which I think will still be very well appreciated) enhancements to the sketcher in the next release of NX.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA