Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is clone assembly feature a glorified 'Save as'?

Pioneer
Pioneer

When would you ever have to use clone assembly? I guess with really large assemblies with a lot of parts you want to do a save as with. But maybe there's a more interesting use of this command?

And what is the difference between 'Create Clone Assembly' and 'Edit Existing Assembly' commands, they both have the same options. 

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Is clone assembly feature a glorified 'Save as'?

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Baratheon

If you save as an assembly part only the highest level assembly file is saved, not the components.

If you want to save as main part plus all components you need clone assembly.

Regards

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Baratheon ,

As @robot139  said, I would use Save As option when I want to create new assembly file keeping other components intact.

And would use Cloning option when want to make changes in assembly file (names) along with all its components like add prefix or suffix or replace a string.

Both 'Create Clone Assembly' and 'Edit Existing Assembly commands have same options except that no automatic resolution of conflicts is needed in case of later one as you're modifying the seed assembly.

Regards,
Samadhan

GTAC | NX Help: NX1102 | NX1202 | NX1847
Please mark post as an "Accepted Solution", if it answers your question/is more helpful!

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@robot139 wrote:

If you save as an assembly part only the highest level assembly file is saved, not the components.

@robot139,

Not to nitpick, but I believe that depends on at what level in the assembly you perform the Save As. If you do the Save As at the component level, you should get a prompt for a new file name for every assembly file of which the component is a member all the way up to the top level. If you do not wish to rename when prompted, just click Cancel and those files will not be renamed.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @TimF 

Thanks for correcting me. You are right.

I meant if top most level is active save as works only on the top assembly file not the components.

Regards

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom
@robot139,

I figured that's what you meant but felt it was an important nuance to mention (for others to know).
Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6