cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to change the possition of a body by arrangements?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have a pneumatic cylinder downloaded from a 3D library. I have stored al his components in the same prt (body, rod...) but in different bodies. If it is possible we prefer to store every purchased item in just one item/prt. I have created an assembly that contains the cylinder plus screws fittings, magnetic detectors... and in this assembly I would like to create arrangements with a body I have created that I am going to use to create assembly constrains form this assembly to other components of a father assembly. I just need to be able to have one body in different possitions for each assembly arrangement.

10 REPLIES

Re: Is it possible to change the possition of a body by arrangements?

Legend
Legend

Hi @Javiduc,

it's not possible. Transform your multibody into assembly.

For arrangement in assembly, NX 11 has news for distance constraints and remember to have an arrangement where the stroke can move for all the stroke.

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

One thing you could try is to have two versions of your part. In one version the cylinder could be in the extended state and in the second part use move object to move the piston body into the compressed state.

At the assembly level, in the extended state arrangement suppress the compressed version of the cylinder and vice versa in the compressed arrangement.

(view in My Videos)

Legend
Legend

Hi @Abeinjapan,

I don't like to suggest a workaround with lots limitations and poor cons only to have a solution which leaves the time it finds.

Thank you...

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Javiduc,

A couple of suggestions:

1) Use the "Move Object" command to associatively move the bodies into position.  Hint: Use expressions to drive Motion: Distance on the Move Object dialog.  Create a Deformable Part selecting the bodies and expressions to be 'deformed'.  Add the assembly to your parent assembly and deform it.

(view in My Videos)

2) Create copies of the bodies to be repositioned.  Create reference sets to define each position and add only those bodies suitable for the position.  Add the assembly to the parent assembly and change the Reference Set to suit the position.

@cubalibre00, regardless of the workaround, suggestions should be encouraged.  Better to submit a solution for consideration than not.  Ideas submitted may help the forum derive alternative solutions.

Regards, Ben

Legend
Legend

Hi @BenBroad,

this is your opinion.

My opinion is give the solution or a workaround that give a result near to the

expectation and in a simple manner and in a simple edit.

Multibody can't be used to simulate assembly behavior.

Suggestions like your, for me it's obstinacy, like enter a ø10.1 pin into a ø10 hole.

Thank you...

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have tested the deformable part method, but I find I problem when the part is placed with a different orientation because if the "move object" feature was a movement along Z axis in the deformable part but I placed the part with the Z axis oriented paralel to the X axis of the assembly then the objetc moves along the Z axis of the assembly with is not the movement I want to perform. Any way to force NX to move the body in its part Z axis?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Javiduc

Use geometry in the part when defining the Move Object "Motion" vector.  In my movie, for simplicity, I selected the purple "helper" vector, which is not tied to any geometry and uses a fixed directional vector.  I re-tested my part using the "Distance between" Motion option and selected objects in my part to define the vector.  The parts now deform (move) relative to the repositioned geometry, versus the fixed vector.

Regards, Ben

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you Ben, now it works perfectly. I have obtained two good things of it, first learning how to move objects of a part which I dont have writting access to, and second that selecting axis has reference for moving may lead to problems and that I can have a different behaviour by selecting geometry.

I guess there is no way to create a variable depending of an arrangement in order to asociate the deformable part distance value to it. It would be even better so I can create arrangements in the upper level structure assemblies and control everthing in the "father" assembly.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I cant select the geometry driven by the deformable part to be wavelinked. Is there a way to do that?