Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a better way to quickly find the main assembly file.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Find assembly files.jpg

QQ截图20170703105111.jpg

Hello master
Does the product have 100 components to distinguish which one is the total assembly? Every time you need to find a lot of trouble, you need a better way to quickly locate the assembly file.。If you can find the assembly file every time you open it will be very convenient.

This question has troubled me for many years

Please tell me the way Siemens is very grateful

15 REPLIES

Re: Is there a better way to quickly find the main assembly file.

Genius
Genius

Hi

This will help you,

https://grabcad.com/tutorials/how-to-identify-the-assembly-file-it-child-parts

Information > Assemblies> Where Used > you will get dilog box in which select Enter Folder and give file Directories

RRG

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @FZK,

There is no direct way at OS level to detemine it however there are some options can be used.

1) Menu > Information > Assemblies > Where used

Use the 'Single Level' or 'All Levels' option that will report the parent/main asseembly part name,count and their path.

2) "ugpc.exe" located at 'C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 11.0\NXBIN'ugpc.png

3) "ug_inspect.exe" located in same folder as "ugpc.exe" 

uginpsect.png

4) With the help '7Zip', refer the KB article 'How to Identify Part vs. Assembly Files

Pioneer
Pioneer

HI   Ganesh_Kadole

Thank you very much for your enthusiastic answer

NX11.jpgNX open the window can not distinguish which is the assembly of documents, many times need to use more time to find which is my change, so a waste of time.

CREO2.jpg

CREO open the window is easy to distinguish which is the assembly document, directly double-click OK.

I do not know if i'm using NX wrong? still is? , That is, it is very convenient.
Thank you for your answer

Pioneer
Pioneer

HI RakeshGarud 

My purpose is to click to open to find the drawing directory can be very quickly find my assembly double click to open.

thank you very much for your reply

Siemens Phenom

Hi @FZK,

In NX, there is '.prt' file extension irrespective of the NX file type i.e. part/assembly/drawing. In Catia and ProE there are different extensions so they are represented by the different icons.

You may consider some naming convention to identify the assembly part files by adding words like 'asm' in the part file name. 

In TC-NX/managed NX it is possible to distinguish between part/assembly while opening the part files from the NX by the icon like you have shown for the CREO.

Pioneer
Pioneer

HI Ganesh_Kadole

Thank you very much for your reply.
1.NX cartographic assembly modeling is efficient in an environment which is so xxxx.prt.
2. So we have to do the difference in name, asm.prt, dwg.prt.

3.Hope to use different pictures to distinguish between assembly and 2D drawings, because it will be convenient to thank。

Siemens Phenom

Hi FZK,

We have used thumbnails/tiles(while opening the file) to sort out assemblies from the list...i know it is not an elegant way of sorting out assemblies from parts but still usable sometime.

The efficiency of this method depends on the preview picture for sure.

Best Regards

Kapil

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi FZK   kapilsharma

If the parts are particularly large, this method is not very good. If the product parts are less able to see thumbnails.

Thank you very much for your answer

Siemens Phenom

It's a good to remember the flexibility that NX offers using the same file extension for assemblies, parts and drawings.  I found this a difficult concept initially coming from different CAD systems however think of the benefits this brings.

1. Flexibility to 'change' and part into an assembly and vica versa.
  2. A prt file can contain the 3D and 2D data in the same file (althought master model workflows are considered a better option)

It is advisable to use a PDM system over file based storage so the problem goes away with Teamcenter.

Dave