Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to modify part name?

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

In the assembly navigator window, the descriptive part name appears to always be the part’s file name with the extension removed. That works fine for my purposes but I am wondering if that is just a default behavior that might sometimes be overridden.

..so my question:

Is there a way to modify the descriptive part name in the navigator window so that it is different from the filename.

Perhaps the answer is different for Teamcenter versus not.

3 REPLIES

Re: Is there a way to modify part name?

Legend
Legend

Hi Bobk,

If I understood right your question, one way to do this is changing the Component Name and define the Component Name as the first column in the Assembly Navigator.

Attached I'm sending a video showing how you can do this.

Unfortunetely I don't know if this will works with Teamcenter integration.

I hope this help.

Jean Marcel
PLMPRO
www.plmpro.com.br

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

In the Preferences -> assemblies, you can set the descriptive part name style to file name (what you are seeing now), description, or specified attribute. You can edit the description by using the File -> utilities -> edit work|other part header command; however, in my 15+ years of using UG/NX, I've never seen or heard of anyone making good use of the file headers. If you set the option to description, but the file's description is blank, the value in the "name" column will default to the file name. If each of your parts has an attribute that you would like to display instead of the file name, you can set the option to attribute and specify which attribute to use.

Alternately, you can turn on the user defined name column in the assembly navigator and give each of your components a name. To name a component, right click on it and choose properties; switch to the general tab and enter a name. Also, you can name a component at the time it is added to the assembly by providing a name in the settings section of the add component dialog box.

Either of these methods should work with TC or native NX.

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

This solves my issue.  I wasn't so much trying to tinker with part name as handle the possibility that others might do so.  I am now planning to proceed on the assumption that that part is generally identified by it's filename and I will deal with exceptions as they arise.