Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Is there a way to release an item from within NX?

Running NX 10.0.3 MP11 with Teamcenter 10.1.7 and I want to release an item revision from within NX.

This would simplify saving to a new revision, if the active revision limit is reached.

I have checked if there is something in the customer defaults, but found nothing.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 7.4, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0
10 REPLIES

Re: Is there a way to release an item from within NX?

Hello @Stefan_Pendl,

I don't believe there is a way to do this within NX. That is without Active Workspace.

When using Active Workspace, you would have almost full TC functionality from within NX, without having to use a separate TC client.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Dennis de Brouwer
Application Support Engineer
GTAC EMEA - Siemens Industry Software

Hello Dennis,

thanks for the update, so we need to buy another Teamcenter client to get a deeper integration of NX into Teamcenter.

We have RAC highly customized and as far as I know AWS doesn't support this kind of customization.

Would be overkill to have AWS installed for some departments and RAC for others.

Seems I need to sleep over this some more.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 7.4, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stefan_Pendl
‎01-05-2017 04:11 AM

Hello Stefan,

You can use AWS and RAC side-by-side. The good thing of AWS, is you do not need any installs on the client side. No RAC of some sort, No plug-ins, no Java, etc. It will run in every browser, or in case of NX, it will run in the special tab for AWS (no extra install needed here on NX/client side), just like you now have the TC tab. Just set one setting in the customer defaults, point to the AWS url.

You do however need to set up AWS properly on the serverside, but this should be a one time job. And also only needs to be maintained on the server. It's not something you would do in 5 minutes, but could well be worthwile.

And even with AWS up and running, you can always start your RAC, for your customized environment, if needed for the special commands.

As I cannot say from here, if you will gain enough benifit from the extra work. I would suggest to contact your account manager, so you can determine together if this is a solution for you.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Dennis de Brouwer

Thanks Dennis for the detailed reply.

I will have to make up my mind on AWS, where the major problem for me is that it is not included in the regular Teamcenter installation, but as an add-on installation, so updating AWS is an additional separate task.

Have a pleasant one Smiley Wink

Summarizing:

1. I need a 2-tier installation to run my highly customized RAC
  2. I need a 4-tier installation to run AWS

Would be nice to only have one of the tier installations on the client.

Solution
Solution
‎01-05-2017 06:55 AM

Hello Stefan,

A few things here:

1) Not sure what you ahve customized, and why this should not work with 4-tier, but you'll probably know this better than I do Smiley Happy
2) No need to install a 4-Tier client, for 2 reasons, you can just as easily start AWS in a browser... No Install, and Also no client needed to start NX 4-tier with AWS.
You do need to set up you server to be able to set up the 4-tier connection

3) For NX 11.0, Active Workspace embedded client available for 2 Tier – all functionality except access to a Viewer.

So I think, there is no reason not to go for AWS. But if you would like to have the full details, I would contact your account manager, so some details can be checked, and see what needs to be done, for setting up AWS, that is the only bit that requires som extra attention.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Dennis de Brouwer

With NX 10.0.3 MP11 and Tc 10.1.7 2-tier, I get the following notice in the NX syslog:

Active Workspace will not be enabled because NX is running in 2 tier mode.

So you say that I would just have to enable 4-tier mode like with MRL native connect:

UGII_UGMGR_COMMUNICATION=HTTP
UGII_UGMGR_HTTP_URL=http://...:8080/tc

... and AWS should be happily working.

BTW, our RAC customization includes custom menus and other ITK customizations, that we have been told are not possible with AWS.

[ Edited ]

Seems there is light at the end of the tunnel Smiley Very Happy

TCIN SOA warning: The preference ActiveWorkspaceHosting.NX.URL was not found in the start up cache.
TCIN SOA warning: The preference ActiveWorkspaceHosting.URL was not found in the start up cache.
TCIN SOA warning: The preference AWC_NX_OpenSupportedTypes was not found in the start up cache.
TCIN SOA warning: The preference AWC_NX_AddComponentSupportedTypes was not found in the start up cache.

The value for the Active Workspace URL is empty. Active Workspace will not be enabled. Please verify that the ActiveWorkspaceHosting.NX.URL or ActiveWorkspaceHosting.URL preference is set in Teamcenter.
The value for AWC_NX_OpenSupportedTypes is empty. Please verify that the AWC_NX_OpenSupportedTypes preference is set in Teamcenter.
The value for AWC_NX_AddComponentSupportedTypes is empty. Please verify that the AWC_NX_AddComponentSupportedTypes preference is set in Teamcenter.

Based on this it should be fairly easy to implement AWS in our environment, since we already have a 4-tier server for MRL native connect and a few external designers.

Thanks for getting me into the right direction, so we just have to optimize our server-side environment.

Solution
Solution
‎01-05-2017 08:21 AM

[ Edited ]

Hello Stefan,

Well it might be just that easy... There is some installation\configuration to do on the server, so AWS is functioning properly. That bit, does require some effort.

But on the client side, when the server is set up correct, it's fairly simple.

Yes, true, in NX 10.0 it's not possible to use 2-tier. That's new for NX 11.0.

The preference ActiveWorkspaceHosting.URL was not found in the start up cache

This does indeed, just need the url to the AWS.

And since you would not have an 4-tier TC client, you do not have a button to start NX from there. But like you say, by setting the 2 variables you pointed out, You can start NX 4-tier with a custom shortcut.

And in that case, you have TC available in NX... For all your "simple" actions, and you can always start your RAC for the more complex options you have.

2017.01.05_13h57m54s_002_.png

Dennis de Brouwer