Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Break View tool

Creator
Creator

Hello,

I have created a drawing containing a section view of a base view. On this section view, I tried to add a break-out view. However, in the Break-out view tool wizard, I cannot find the section view that I would like to pick as the parent view.

Please see attached document for details.

I am using NX 10.

Please advise.

4 REPLIES

Re: Issue with Break View tool

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I may be wrong, but I didn't think ASME spec allowed a break out in a section.  I suspect this is why NX won't let you do it.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Creator
Creator

It's actually possible. I created a breakout view on a section view in another drawing. However, the difference between the section view for this one and the other one in question is that the section line of latter oriented at an angle, while that of the former (the one that worked) is oriented vertically.

Does NX only allow breakout views to be created section views based on section lines which are oriented either  horizontally or vertically, but not at an  angle?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Nanay,
Basically break out section view is used to display the inner hollow area of a part or inner view of an assembly. Any specific reason why to create break out section view based on the section view. As break out section view will display the portion defined by the break out boundaries.

By observing the icon of the section view in the attachment provided by you. I can say that section view is created using the definition 'Dynamic' and method as 'Point to Point'. 

sv p2p.PNG

Now there are different options within section view dialog that can be used in combination depending upon the requirement.You can define a section view with method 'Point to Point' with option 'Create Folded' toggled on or off as shown.

sv p2p_1.PNG

sv p2p_2.PNG

With the option 'Create Folded' makes difference while creating a break out section view as view with option 'Create Folded' toggled off will not be displayed in the dialog. This seems that it is designed behaviour in NX.

sv p2p_3.PNG

@Benbroad would like to hear from you on this.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Nanay, @GaneshKadole,

This is a current limitation.  I can only imagine it's due to the complexity that would be required, especially if you wanted to place the break-out over the region where the section line is rotated.

While I did find ER 1992517: "View Break function for Revolved Section View needed", an ER does not exist for Break-out Section.  Please consider opening an IR with GTAC to submit a new ER.

Regards, Ben