Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Extrude up to external Datum!

Phenom
Phenom

In the Extrude commands, it’s possible and allows to select limits to external datum (Selection> Entire Assembly). I.e. Limits>start/End>Until Selected/Extended and select external datum/faces. I guess the intension is to build dynamically responding models with the changes of other external models.

But when I change the external datum heights, the models don’t update as intended (even in fully loaded assembly). It behaving like a static limits.

Has anybody experienced this behaviour?

In this method, the only way I found to get them work as intended (dynamically updating) is; directly wave link the DATUM/BODY (doesn’t work for TYPE=FACE) in to the parts themselves and then select those linked DATUM/BODY faces as the limits. (An extra step?)

Is it a glitch?

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

4 REPLIES

Re: Issues with Extrude up to external Datum!

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Make sure you turn on the 'Create Interpart Link' on the selection bar (see image below).

This will then create a WAVE linked object for the creation of the modeling feature.

2015-07-30_9-43-11.jpg

Anthony Galante, Senior Support Engineer
PhoenxPLM
24 versions of NX installed: NX4 to NX12, plus TC11.2

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks Anthony, I tested for a while and it seems to be working.

I was wondering about the usage of that Icon and now I got the answer.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

"In the Extrude commands, it’s possible and allows to select limits to external datum (Selection> Entire Assembly). I.e. Limits>start/End>Until Selected/Extended and select external datum/faces. I guess the intension is to build dynamically responding models with the changes of other external models."

Extruding up to a datum plane in an assembly without creating a link was actually a new feature added around NX 7 or 7.5. Previously, if you wanted to do that you would have to measure the distance to extrude then enter that value in the extrusion dialog box. It is a small but nice enhancement to be able to get it in one step. And, as pointed out by PhoeNX, you can also turn on an option to get an associative link if so desired.

Phenom
Phenom

I agree, it’s working.

While editing an extrude, with external Limits, is there a way of knowing if the limits are intact or not? (Associative or non-associative?)

I think that "Until Selected /Extended" is bit deceiving! When editing at part level it shows the datum face/surface. But in Assembly level that datum could be obsolete. Showing the entire non-associative face is misleading.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW