Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Key Frame Animation

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is there a way to create an animation in NX 9 without the need for setting up joints and driving motors similar to sequencing for the assemblies though that doesn't appear to get me there either.

I want to animation by moving the components establishing a key frame and having the software blend across to the new position based on frame count to the next frame I create.

Basically taking arrangements as the key frame and having it animation from one arrangement to the next. Just as someone would do in true animation software like Maya or Blender, but in a much more simplified format in the case of just moving components around.

12 REPLIES

Re: Key Frame Animation

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

You can do it with sequences. in your assembly tab, look for Sequence command.

You can create the sequence and then record a movie.

One thing you wont be able to do is components to behave "phisically". (they cant  "push each other") you only will be able to move them through their constrains.

More info about sequences F1 help)

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I tried using sequences but the problem is, is it records each motion of each component I move instead of taking the positions of the components at frame 1 and moving them to a new position based on a frame 2, which isn't what sequencing was programmed to do.

So when I play it back it shows me moving one component at a time in the exact movement I did to get the component there instead of moving all the components as one motion.

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

with assemlby sequence, you can move multiple components at a time even in different direction if you have the right assembly constraints applied.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

True based on assembly constaints I could have multiple components moving though unfortunately this setup doesn't present itself with that. I basically have a panel dropping in one direction while a couple pins rotate out of the way. There really isn't any assembly constraints I could use to have several pins rotating while a panel slides and translates at the same time.

I might just have to resort to using Blender, Maya, Solidworks, or even PTC Creo for this.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Are you aware of the basic Animation function outside of CAE?  

The camera position uses a key frame methodology just as you've described (indicate position 1 at frame A, position 2 at frame A+50, and let the system interpolate camera positions for intermediate frames) and the model positioning (and or other parametric modeling updates, actually) can all be tied to a special "FrameNumber" expression.

"FrameNumber" can be used to articulate any number of indepenent assembly constraints at the same time, and can use conditional logic (and/or sinusoidal math) to precisely describe start/stop conditions and/or acceleration/deceleration motion characteristics -- including simulating collisions, etc.

And of course, this can also be used with any of the NX high-end rendering methods as well.

I've attached a few older examples.  Just a thought.  :-)

Taylor Anderson
NX Product Manager, Knowledge Reuse and NX Design
Tel: +1 (602) 441-0683
taylor.anderson@siemens.com

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

That I didn't realize. So you basically have to build expressions associated to the Frame number that describes the positions, orientations, etc. for the assembly components?

It's too bad the components can't be treated like the cameras so you could just move them to the positions you want and have it interpolate their paths.

Very nice examples! Thank you! Those must have been very time consuming especially when having to think about expressions instead of just moving the object. Smiley Happy

Siemens Phenom

That's exactly right.

It's not really all that tricky after the first time you do it.  Gives you very fine-grained control of as many motions as you want at the same time, too. :-)

Mark Rober used to employ this at JPL somwhat frequently...  He may or may not have left a How-To document around on JPL Wired.

Good luck!

Taylor Anderson

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I was actually able to find an old 2010 wired presentation he created.

Thank you for the heads up!

Siemens Phenom

Niiiiice.  It's a great thing when systems for knowledge capture and reuse mechanisms actually pay off.  ;-)

Taylor Anderson