Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large model, can't control updating

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have a large model (4000 features).  I'll give a really simple example to demonstrate my issue:

Lets say that I have 2000 sketches, each has 1 point, or circle that I use to control a single hole.

So each of the 2000 sketches have only 1 child, a hole.

If i'm at current feature 4000, and I want to edit the first sketch in my model, this will only change 1 hole.  However the model will update the other 1999 holes, and this is very time consuming.  None of the other sketches or holes are related to the edit I make, but it still updates them.

Scenario #2.  

I am again at feature 4000.  I enter sketch feature #1 because I want to check the dimension.  I enter the sketch, don't click anything, and exit the sketch.  The model will go through a 15 minute update session all the way through the tree.

This costs me about 2 hours per day over the last year at work.  Any suggestions?

again, this is a simplified example that demonstrates the problem.

5 REPLIES

Re: Large model, can't control updating

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao,

for the Scenario 2# simply select the sketch

Immagine.png

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

what kind of holes are there in the part if you have 2000 holes.

Sometimes it's easier to use synchronous modeling in the end of the tree to make your changes.

Some customers delete the complete tree when they reach 500 features and after that using synchronous modeling to make design changes.

This all depends what kind of part it is.

Imported body ( you can always use synchronous modeling)

Reusable part (bolt nuts, this needs the perfect relations between features the update easily)

Engineering part (used 1 or 2 times in different assembly, here the need of perfect relationship between features is less important)

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao @Mystic97z,

for Scenario 1# look at Customer Default

fast-rollback.png

Genius
Genius

Menu-> Tools-> Update -> Delay Model Update

Turn it on and the model will not update even after making changes until you do so manually.

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

For scenario #2, if you are in the sketch task environment (as opposed to direct sketch), you can go to menu -> task -> exit sketch to get out of the sketch without triggering an update.