Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Large pattern of a hole?

Creator
Creator

I am trying to create a part with a large array of honeycomb cells on the order of 100-200 (so not a ridiculous amount like several thousand). Currently, the part is made by extruding a block, and subtracting away 2 of the honeycombs, and then using pattern face to replicate the honeycomb. However, it still takes almost 10 minutes or so to process everytime the part is built. Is there a faster way to replicate this feature or is pattern face my best bet?

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Large pattern of a hole?

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Pattern face will be faster than pattern feature, so I have no suggestions. 

As an experiment a few weeks ago, I did a pattern face on about 1200 hex holes, and it too minutes (probably in your 10 range), and then tried it with pattern feature, which I ended up killing the process after 90 minutes or so.

-Dave
NX1867(if it had versions) | Teamcenter 11.6 | Windows 10

Creator
Creator
I figured as much. Even trying to "pattern geometry" at the sketch level is taxing.

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

@rbuntu wrote:
I figured as much. Even trying to "pattern geometry" at the sketch level is taxing.

That's odd...  I'm finding that pattern inside the Sketch Task Environment, or Pattern Geometry and selecting a sketch is far quicker that using Pattern Face on the extrusion faces.

Creator
Creator
It seems to be quicker to create the curves, but then the actual extrusion seems to take just as long.

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

Here's my mini benchmark for comparison:

# of Honeycomb Holes Time to Extrude (seconds)
56 5
224 20
504 40
896 125
1400 350

NX 10 part attached - change the value of p1 (in multiples of 100).

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator

Hello,

the way I did tasks like that is with a positive body of the hole (internal boolean operation set to "none") in combaination with pattern geometry. As the last step I create a feature group and one subtract at the end.

Another possibility is to create a point set and select the feature while creating the holes. In a short test it was also very fast.

You can try this out.

Best regards,

Christian

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Correct!

It is so much better to think of the cut as a positive geometry, pattern it, pack it in a feature group, cut it using the Selection Intent "Bodies in Group", chose the feature group and boom, done!

Creator
Creator

Thanks for this, although mine is slightly different becasue there are fillets at the edges of each honeycomb.

Creator
Creator
I will try this and get back to you