Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer Categories not working in Drawings

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello all, I have a model part file that has categories with the layers. I have assembled the part file to a drawing template (Master model style). The drawing views and drawing does not contain the categories. I close everything down and open up the original model part file and the categories are still there. So, when you assemble a part to a drawing that categories vanish? Come on NX what gives? Is there a setting or something to do in a workflow that fixes this? Thanks! Peter
6 REPLIES

Re: Layer Categories not working in Drawings

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom
The categories exist in the file they were created, in this case the model file, and not the drawing file.
-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Sorry, I should not have used the word vanish. I understand that NX does not transfer the categories from part to drawing. Is there a way to transfer the categories and not have to recreate the same stuff twice? Creo transfers layer info just fine from part to drawing. Thanks, Peter

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

No, the layer "structure" does transfer , IF you select the option "Original" under Component properties. But not the categories.  ( RMB the component in the ANT- Properties)

The other option in that dialog will place everything from that model on a single layer in the drawing file.

The categories is only a "nickname" which you give to a couple of layers, such as "Sketches = Layer 21-31"

The "normal" procedure is that you set the categories in your template parts, then the same category names will exist in all your files. ( if you decide to set it like that. )

We have a special category in our drawing parts for "things" we would like to hide on the drawing, so instead of waiting for a couple of thousand fasteners to be hidden line processed, we move these fasteners to this special layer category in the drawing file .( this category is set invisible)

If you have many templates in which you want to create the same categories, this operation can be automated using a Journal .

Regards,

Tomas

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
All right the conclusion is, you have to re-do you categories in the drawing/template. Which is great, because I like doing twice the work. Siemens, please make an option so that the drawing can pull in the part layer categories. Thanks for the comments! Peter

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

If you intend to use the same catagories in all models and drawings in the future, I would include them in your seed and template parts.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Peter,

Please consider using the existing example utilities provided in

%UGII_BASE_DIR%\ugopen\SampleNXOpenApplications\.NET\LayerOrganize folder

especially Create_Layer_categories.vb

which can be run from "Tools, Play Journal" (ribbon user interface).

Hope this helps,

Joe