Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leapfrogging Part Navigator Feature Groups

Experimenter
Experimenter

Is there some setting to keep the items in my Part Navigator tree from jumping around? Its driving me crazy and killing my efficiency (I have less than three months with the software, and four days of "formal" training from the guy I replaced).

Here's what is happening in the part environment that I am working in. 

1) I have a "input" feature group near the top of the part navigator (PN) that contains parts from our customer, (that I am modifying/enhancing)

2) Below the "input" FG I have several "construction" feature groups for datums and sketches that I created

3) Below the "construction" FG I have numerous feature groups to contain extrusions, unites, blends, etc. for sub-components that I am creating in the part environment

When I create a new datum or sketch, it is not always convenient for me to place it in the PN using the "make current feature" command. Instead I just create it and it ends up at the bottom of the PN.

But when I drag and drop the datum or sketch into the "construction" FG the whole feature group snaps to the bottom of the PN!

Then I have to drag the construction FG back to its proper position in the PN.

This usually (but not always) happens with anything that I drag from the bottom of the PN and into a FG folder above it- that folder snaps to the bottom of the PN and must be repositioned.

We are updgrading to NX12 this month. Currently I'm using NX8.5

Please help me to overcome this.

4 REPLIES

Re: Leapfrogging Part Navigator Feature Groups

Experimenter
Experimenter

Follow up-

How is it even possible for something that has precedence over another feature to jump below it? There have been numerous occassions in which I have tried to move things in the PN or tried to perform other operations and have been disallowed from doing it because of precedence.

But then I see this behaviour in the tree with things that have precedence over others, snapping to the bottom of the PN and it just drives me bonkers.

Highlighted

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Dragging and dropping a feature will cause a reorder of the feature dependencies and a renumbering of the feature group. By default the feature groups are also timestamped features.

It is possible to make feature groups non timestamp entities, just used to group other features. You should however check with your site admin first to make sure not going against any company working practices. In File->Utilities->Customer Defaults, under Modeling->Feature Group is an option to allow Timestamped and Floating types of feature groups. On creation of the FG select floating will give you a FG with no feature number, it will then not reorder on moving another feature.

However a working method would recommend using make current feature on creation of features if you intend it to sit somewhere else later in the PNT. You could be building dependencies that are not really wanted.

Steve V

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for that reply.

I can't be sure that I'm using NX in the best way. I am building a complete assembly in the part (not assembly) environment. That is the method my predecessor taught me.

We recieve a STEP, Parasolid or other CAD from our customer which we split it up into subcomponents using datums and sketches, extrusions, unites, etc. Although I create some parts that are internal to the model from scratch, most of my work is to break up the model that I'm provided into sub-components. These can be articulated so that the customer can experiment with it in a wind tunnel (these are scale models of planes, helicopters, ships, and other vehicles).

Although I do use "make current feature" often, I can't always use it because it causes downstream parts to disappear.

I may learn that my predecessor's work flow is limiting me and switch to the assembly environment as I learn more about this software.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Sound like you would be better going to an assembly way of working. You do also have two other options rather than working in a single file or using bottom-up component assemblies.

One method is to use Part Modules. These can be seen as a more powerful form of Feature Group but act like multiple part files in a single part file. There is a little more work involved with these as you have to define inputs and outputs for each module. They do then have the advantage of you can control the visibility and update of each part module irrespective of where you are in the feature tree. Also you can temporarily export out to individual part files allowing more people to work at the same time on the design, then remerge the features back into the single file later. Could be what you want but would recommend getting in a consultant who knows the subject to train you on this.

The other method is to use top-down assembly modeling. Use the data you receive to create a control file or two defining the overall shape and layout of the product. Then WAVE link geometry out into component files for detailed modeling and building bottom-up the final assembly.  See Don't design parts with CAD

Steve V