Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lightweight loading in large assemblies, why is it not any faster than non lightweight loading?

Siemens Creator Siemens Creator
Siemens Creator

All,

My first post asking for help since joining the forum.

We are using NX11.0.1mp05, TC 10.1.5

I am looking at some issues where we are trying to lower the load times of our large assemblies, we have many assemblies that take up to an hour to load and use. We have big machines with lots of ram, super fast networks and I have spent a lot of time fine tuning where I can. We were running NX8.5 until recently with data in various flavours of lightweight quality.

So we upgraded to NX11.0.1mp01 and I refiled the complete database and force rebuilt all the lightweights to the quality that I wanted. Now some months down the line I am happy to be able to spend some time looking at using lightweights. I remember when this function came out and there was the Insignia dataset that you could play with. 4 hours to load normally and about 6 mins with lightweights. That was in NX native.

But I am getting almost no performance increase, I have tried various timings of a test assembly.

1.Reboot the computer

Start TC

Start NX

Load options in NX set to

• Partial loading on
  • Load structure only off
  • Lightweight data off
  • Load interpart data off
  • Allow substitutions on
  • Ref sets As Saved

Load the assembly from the TC Navigator. Now the data is in my local cache

2. Reboot the machine

Start TC

Start NX

• Partial loading on
  • Lightweight data off
  • Allow substitutions on
  • Ref sets As Saved

Load the assembly from the TC Navigator, record the time

3. Reboot the machine

Start TC

Start NX

• Partial loading on
  • Lightweight data on
  • Allow substitutions on
  • Ref sets As Saved

Load the assembly from the TC Navigator, record the time

Compare the times and see that it is approximately 6 minutes whether I use lightweights or not.

I and a few others have tried lightweights on many assembies with no success at all in saving any significant amount of load time. Memory usage is a lot lower and the manipulation, zoom etc is nice and fast with the lightweights. Can you suggest areas where I could explore the load time?

Thanks

Andy

1 REPLY

Re: Lightweight loading in large assemblies, why is it not any faster than non lightweight loading?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Andy,

Given the amount of data from older versions of NX, does every part within the assembly have a lightweight representation stored?

If you expand the Assembly Navigator does the Representation column for the majority of the parts loaded show the feather versus the diamond when you have the Lightweight ON in the load options when you loaded?
2018-03-09_7-44-13.jpg

Couple things that affect load time and model efficiency from my experience is:

• Up to Date Assembly Structure in comparison to Teamcenter (Huge affect on load time depending how out of date the structure is when loading from Teamcenter)
  • Models that are updated and free of out of date features. If you can get component creators and your assembly managers to update and continuously maintain this state, performance will be improved.
    2018-03-09_7-48-24.jpg
  • Arrangement Override usage (suppressing, unsuppressing, or moving a component somewhere above its immediate parent)
    Beware that Arrangement overrides are a heavy load time operation. The more you use it, the slower the model load can get. The functionality is a unique feature to NX and is very useful, but if used excessively can have a large degrading affect on the model. Arrangement Overrides should only be used for model configuration changes like a model being shown packaged or unpackaged. Never use arrangement overrides to suppress a large number of components thinking it will improve your load time. The only time suppressing a large number will assist in load time is to suppress at the immediate parent and call the Arrangement up the navigator tree.
    I've found, which can be model specific, that once the overrides get up into the 1000 times range is where you begin to see a significant change in model loading performance. Also take note, any model used anywhere in the assembly that contains overrides (the arrangement does not have to be active) will contribute to this degrading affect.
  • Component simplification (especially in huge complex assemblies) Simplify Assembly, Linked Exterior, etc. used by reference set loading can have magical effects on getting a model to load faster while its display and representation are show as designed. This of course requires the lower level component creators to build this into their models and to have a known reference set to load from, but if built into the company process can increase efficiency tremendously.
    2018-03-09_8-02-47.jpg