Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Line normal to face and go through point

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @TimF ,

I don't understand your question. I need to create a line perpendicular to a planar face where the start pass through the hole center. The line that I want to create is on the same part file.

The limitation is described by @cowski1 . I will open an IR.

Thank you...

Using NX1867
RuleDesigner PDM

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi @cubalibre00,

What I'm saying is that a Hole feature usually requires something to define it and that if your example shown in the image is a feature (not unparameterized) then you might be able to use some of the geometry that defines the Hole feature instead of just using the Hole center and face.

See the attached example - I'm using a Datum CSYS to define the Hole (Point of the Datum CSYS for the center, Z-axis for the direction). Then I'm using the same Point of the Datum CSYS to start the Line and the normal of the XY Plane of the Datum CSYS as the Line normal (Z-axis could also be used). If the Datum CSYS moves, the Hole moves. Similar principle to what cowski presented and probably a workaround in your eyes.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Given the attached picture in your 5:th post and what Tim is saying....why don't you use the defined cylidrical shape of the hole and the Extract Virtual Curve option - unless defined as per what Tim states?

//Fred

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

There are various solutions that can be considered with this use case.  Some are knowing how to use the command to its full extent given the geometry you have, so not considered a "workaround".  Here's a video showing the suggested uses of a predefined Datum Axis (and various methods of creating that Datum Axis), or a Datum Plane and also a couple of methods using just the Line command without any predefined geometry.

(view in My Videos)

Phenom
Phenom

@BenBroad,

you work for Siemens PLM and I understand that accept the 'workaround' word it's the same as tell that NX has limits.

But I asked for a line start from arc center and normal to a face. This is not possible, despite the normal option being present in the line command, then all solutions to attempt the final result are 'workarounds'.

Thank you...

Using NX1867
RuleDesigner PDM

Siemens Phenom
For process understanding - whats the purpose of the line?

//Fred

Phenom
Phenom

@Sandman,

we don't have Routing license, then sometime for a new project, we need to create the path in assembly to create a tube o a cable. The process is to make the cable/tube work part, wave geometry link of the connector/fitting face, then start a line from the center hole of the connector/fitting and normal to the face of the connector/fitting.

Thank you...

Using NX1867
RuleDesigner PDM

Highlighted

Siemens Phenom

cubalibre00,

With the information provided I would suggest the following (see attached video). Maybe not a representative part but a Euro-Pellet have to do to show the workflow.

With that stated and since I do not now know your company and industry or your processes I would look into how that hole is defined at part level. All companies/industries i've been working in/with also defines either a point and vector or a centerline in the hole at part level since this is also used downstream primarily in downstream manufacturing and product validation processes....

//Fred

(view in My Videos)

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Sandman ,

independently of everything, my request is a line that starts at the center of a circle and normal to the surface. With the image I attach, which represents an assembly where a pneumatic tube is connected to the fitting, how would you do it?
I had thought of being in the tube part, converting the surface indicated by the arrow and using the line command with the option normal to the wave linked face.

center normal.png

Thank you...

Using NX1867
RuleDesigner PDM

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom
Hi @cubalibre00,

Sorry if it appears as if I'm butting in - not my intent, just relaying different options/views for you to possibly consider.

For us, the Tube would have a centerline and part of the Model Ref Set - once WAVE linked, I'd just be using the centerline of that Tube as a starting point. You also have multiple centerpoints in that Tube body from which you can create a line which to me is more or less the same thing as using the normal of a face that is perpendicular to the Tube centerline.
Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6