Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Line normal to face and go through point

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

cubalibre00,

If this was my company I would go over my standardparts and review the process/requirements of using/implementing them in the design/manufacturing process. To me the fitting here is a standard part (muti/frequently used) and as such I would in the fitting part add the connecting information for the pneumatic line and add it to a routing RefSet. This would be used to associativley connect the pneumatic line to the fitting.

Best Regards

Fred

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I've worked on a handful of assemblies where we needed to route wires or tubes without a routing license. We essentially did the same as what @TimF is suggesting, we kept a line or arc in the fitting component and used that as necessary at the assembly level. We often moved the geometry into a "routing" reference set so that we could turn them off easily and tidy up the assembly display when we were done with them.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@cowski, (et. al.)

Neither us nor any of our customers (think all of the Big 3 and then some) use any of the Routing products for our models and we're both (us & customers) modeling piping all the time. Not saying that's the definitive way to go either - just throwing that out there for the sake of comparison/info.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

Hi @cubalibre00 

While I couldn't find any existing ER's based on your original question (line normal to surface where point is center of hole) I did find some existing IR's which reported the same issue.  One particular IR had the following explanations from development:

• Since we are selecting the face that the thru hole was placed on, there's no physical intersection point to define the vector direction.  When selecting a Datum Plane On that same face it does work because there is an intersection.
  • Datum plane is an infinite plane, so you get normal from any point to a Datum Plane. But for face, we need to have an intersection point in face where normal will pass from a given point.

• Using the 'Normal' option, NX uses a more complicated logic to calculate the direction. The referenced object can be non-linear or even a non-planar face. For this direction reference calculation to work there must be an intersection point between start point of the line and any normal within the referenced object. NX does not try to calculate intersections to normal vectors that are beyond the boundaries of the reference objects.

Regards, Ben

Ben Broad | PLM Enthusiast | Siemens GCSS

NX (v17 - 1872) | Teamcenter (9 - 12)
Value Based Licensing | Adaptive UI | BETA Registration