Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lines with DATUM TARGET in DRAFTING

Experimenter
Experimenter

Please look into the Drawing image that i have attached. I would like to know the following things.

1) What do these highlighted bubbles signify ? Are they Datum Targets ? If so, whats its significance ?
2) How can i draw these Horizontal and Vertical lines, as shown in the image while Drafting?
    I believe they arent grid lines.
3) X,Y & Z is mentioned in the Bubbles, Does it signify the position of the component along these axis with respect to the home position in 3-D Space i.e( X=0 , Y=0 , Z=0 ) ??

How do i draw them?

4 REPLIES

Re: Lines with DATUM TARGET in DRAFTING

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

To me, it looks like a grid, with 'station marks'.  As if the part is located in assembly space, and the grid shows where it is from absolute assembly 0,0,0.  ie at a previous race team, we would assemble a full car grid, with every 10" marked with a number in a circle, then chassis parts could be located that way.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend
It tells you where this component will be located in space when assembled. - when cars where drawn by hand, full scale, on paper, this grid was a common method to "split up the work" to different designers, and the reference grid to place dimensions to.

Regards,
Tomas

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you Tomas.

How do we draw those lines in drafting??

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Peter, any answer about this topic?