Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link the same attribute from model to drawing.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello All,

I have asked this question on other forums with not much success. Therefore I will ask it here as well. What I am looking to do is link an attribute called DESCRIPTION in the drawing file to an attribute called DESCRIPTION in the model file. Seems easy enough, but everything I have tried does not seem to work. Here is what I have tried:

First, I tried the method of simply linking DESCRIPTION to DB_DWG_TEMPLATE_DESCRIPTION using Reference Text and Part Attributes. This did not work. First, it wont let you use a part attribute that has no value to is or is in the UNSET category. Next, if you give the attribute a value, then is does not overwrite it when it uses the DB_DWG_TEMPLATE part to retrieve the attibute info from the model.

So next, I tried another method of placing a dummy component into my drawing template. Here is my steps (Images are in added attachments)

1. For DESCRIPTION, I used Reference Text and linked it to an Object Attribute. (See 1 Add Object Attribute.jpg)
2. I verified that DESCRIPTION was linked. (See 2 Linked Description Attribute.jpg)
3. I verified that the expression created (p4) was linked to the object. (See 3 Linked Description Expressions.jpg)
4. I created a new model and added the attributes to it. I also created a solid. (See 4 Attributes for new model.jpg)
5. I created a new drawing from my template, saved it, and verified the Properties. (See 5 Attributes from new drawing.jpg)
6. I verified the expressions in the new drawing to find that p3 is no longer associated the component. (See 6 Expressions from new drawing.jpg)

Is there something I am missing here? Is there some setting I need to use? Any help is deeply appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard Andrew

14 REPLIES

Re: Link the same attribute from model to drawing.

Phenom
Phenom

I would like you to define which way you want this attribute to go and to clarify if you are using Master Model concept.

Are you talking about passing an attribute down an assembly structure (as in using MM concept) and passing the attribute from the drawing into the model? Or are you talking about passing the attribute up the tree (once again assuming MM concept) from the model file to the drawing file?

Passing the value down is tougher to do. Passing values up the assembly tree is the "normal" process.

Ryan McVay

Minneapolis, MN USA 

Experimenter
Experimenter

Ryan,

Yes, I am using master model. What I have is an attribute in my model file called DESCRIPTION. When I create a master model drawing, I want to have an attribute in the drawing called DESCRIPTION. I would like the DESCRIPTION attribute in the drawing file to be linked to the DESCRIPTION attribute in the model file. In terms of your response, it is passing the attribute up the structure.

Ultimately, I need an attribute in the model called DESCRIPTION that has a user entered value and an attribute in the drawing called DESCRIPTION that is linked to that user entered value from the model.

Richard

Phenom
Phenom

I'm writing this without access to NX but I feel your best option would be to add the description attribute to your reference set that is being used in the drawing file. You should be able to pull those attributes (ref set attributes) directly.

I'm sure there are plenty of other users who can help clarify the exact process for this. But as I recall this was the normal way of passing values up into the drawing.

Anyone, else care to moment and clarify??

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I just did this not too long ago.  I ended up creating my attributes as part of an Attribute Template (File, Utilities, Attribute templates).  I would look up the help on Attribute Templates, and let it guide you, going from memory I'm afraid to mess up, and send you down a wrong path.  Once I had the attribute templates created, it was easy to add the attributes to my drawing formats, and notes, so that when you created a new drawing, things auto-populated.

-Dave

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks Ryan and Dave,

Ryan, so you know, all attributes come in with the component by default. John Baker gave me a tip to add a dummy component into my template with the desired attribute and value. That did not completely work because the link between the attribute in the component and drawing broke when a different part was added.

Dave, What I am looking to do is have the DECSRIPTION value in the drawing file read from the the DESCRIPTION value from the model. This value changes per part because it is the parts description. I am using template attributes, but that only adds the same attribute in both parts. It does not link the attribute from one part to the other.

Any other suggestions????????

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Have you looked at this thread, from the "old" forum?

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-CAD/MassPropWeight-to-drawing/m-p/261901#U261901

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

Yes, object attributes become part attributes. The beauty here is that you can have multiple reference sets and pull different attribute values or different attributes all together from the part file. My point is that ref set attributes option is another method.

I'm from old school UG/NX- back to the UGII V7- and I tend to rely on the old ways. Templates are nice but as you are finding out the new things don't neccessary out weigh the benefits of the old ways.

I'm curious as to why the link was broken. Does the seed file have the same Unique ID as "replaced" part file? I'm wondering if that is the key or if the template function will ignore the UID?? You've challenged me to did back into the template scenarios again.

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Not sure why you're linking your DESCRIPTION attribute value to an expression, however, I found that the following should work (tested in NX8):

1) Open your desired template file - I used the OOTB Drawing_B-Size-template.prt

2) File > Utilities > Attribute Templates

Title: DB_DWG_TEMPLATE_DESCRIPTION

OK

3) Start > Drafting

4) Insert > Annotation > Note

Symbols > Category: Relationships > Insert Part Attribute

Expand [+] Unset and select DB_DWG_TEMPLATE_DESCRIPTION

OK

Place the note on the drawing sheet.

FIle > Save

File > Close > All Parts

5) Create a new model part

6) File > Properties > Attributes

Title: DESCRIPTION

Value: This is a test

OK

7) File > New > Drawing (tab) > B - Size > OK

8) Confirm that the note placed on the drawing in step 4 now displays the value from step 6.

Files attached.

Experimenter
Experimenter

BenBroad,

Close but no cigar.  The only thing you are missing here is that I need DESCRIPTION in BOTH parts, not DB_DWG_TEMPLATE_DESCRIPTION in the drawing and DESCRIPTION in the model.  I am using several of these in my drawing template.

The challenge here is that I need DESCRIPTION on both files, which is read by our new PLM system (unfortunately not Teamcenter). The desire is to have both of them linked. One method was to link the DESCRIPTION attribute to DB_DWG_TEMPLATE_DESCRIPTION. I tried to use Reference Text, which creates expressions, to link DESCRIPTION to DB_DWG_TEMPLATE_DESCRIPTION. This does not seem to work because it places no value in the expression.