Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Linking Text to its Part Name

[ Edited ]

I would like to have File names engraved in each part. What is the easiest way to link Text (Boolean subtraction feature) value to its File Name?

I see this required value is shown under "Displayed Part Properties->Displayed Part ->Part Name". How could I call in this Part Name Property to be the text value?

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 10.0.3.5 + PDW

13 REPLIES

Re: Linking Text to its Part Name

[ Edited ]

Create a string expression with the value as ug_askCurrentWorkPart()
Using the Text command, check "Reference Text" under the text entry field and then click "Select Expression".
Select the expression you created and hit OK and then place the text.  Example attached.

Ben

You are kidding! We have to make expressions to retrive values shown in Displayed Part Property->Part Name?

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 10.0.3.5 + PDW

We created it in our model seed part, so it's available for all new parts.

-Dave
NX 9 | Teamcenter 10.1 | Windows 8.1

Hmm..... We have lots of outsourced and cloned projects. .

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 10.0.3.5 + PDW

If you clone a file that uses this expression, you will need to remember to run "update for external change" to update the expression (it won't update automatically). Smiley Sad

Really Cowski!? Thanks for the warning.  I see this method creating more problems than solutions. 

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 10.0.3.5 + PDW

Seems to be too basic request to have an easy solution in NX. Smiley Frustrated

I will submit an ER!  

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 10.0.3.5 + PDW

Hi Mike,

Sorry i have no alternative for using TEXT for engraving but can you use PMI (PART IDENTIFICATION) note for placing the text on the part representing the part name.(if required only for drawing purpose. I know it can not be used for a engraving feature though)).

Best Regards

Kapil Sharma

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author mike_fdo
‎09-28-2016 04:40 PM

mike_fdo wrote:

Seems to be too basic request to have an easy solution in NX. Smiley Frustrated

I will submit an ER!  

IR Description: ER: Linking Text to its Part Name and other listed properties  

Dear Customer, Your recent call to the Global Technical Access Center, Incident Report (IR)Number 7813189 opened on 20-SEP-2016, has been researched by our GTACsoftware engineers. They have determined that this issue should be  reviewed for possible enhancement to the current software functionality.  

This IR was converted into an enhancement request (ER) on 20-SEP-2016and is now referenced as ER Number 7813189. It is OPEN for review at this time.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 10.0.3.5 + PDW