cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a Siemens NX expert to consult ....

Experimenter
Experimenter

Our company is moving from Solidworks to NX and I would happily pay an "expert" to be available for question/answer sessions as we move forward.  We could do paypal based on time spent on the calls or I am open to other suggestions.  We plan to do the 1 week training but have an urgent program using NX and simply need someone to answer questions as needed.   Please respond to nathan@nolimitwheels.com if you are interested.

6 REPLIES

Re: Looking for a Siemens NX expert to consult ....

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

We've been using Solidworks with NX every day for the past 8+ years.  We even have mixed CAD (Multi-CAD) assemblies as we slowly migrate our SW users (and their data) to NX.

There are multiple aspects to this:

1) How fast or slow are you planning to move? Overnight or over time? Will there be co-existence of both tools for a period of time?

2) Will SW data need to be migrated/converted, or are you starting all new in NX and leaving the SW behind?

The best bet and lowest risk (and what I did) is to set up Multi-CAD in Teamcenter in order to reuse SW data in new NX projects without having migrate/convert SW data to NX.  This allows existing projects/products in SW to continue to be revised and modified in SW while at the same time allow that SW data to be used in new NX projects.  Then once it is time to "switch" SW data and users entirely to NX, the same Multi-CAD functionality can be used to convert the SW data to NX in place. There is also a SW to NX migration tool, but I do not think it is ready for migration of real production data.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Experimenter
Experimenter

We would prefer overnight.  We will continue to have SW when needed for past projects, but anything new we would prefer to use NX.  On some programs we just don't have a choice because we get native NX files from our customer and it's a lot faster to modify those than to use a step and SW.   Primary use is not brand new product/part development but modifying/re-designing existing parts that have been created in NX.

All new in NX...nothing needs to be migrated

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Note the "command finder".  At one point, Siemens said thay have entered a lot of terms from other CAD systems in here, so try searching on the Solidworks command name to find the NX "equivalent" command.

Also note the section in the docs:

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/11/nx_help/#uid:xid1128415:index_xid913496

There are other posts in these forums for some specific "I did this in SW, how do I do it in NX?" questions.

NOTE: I have never used SW, so all my recommendations are hearsay :-)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Phenom
Phenom

Three years ago, I joined the team, to help the move from Solidworks to NX, and we took a more "brute force" path, than Larry.  Since out industry moves so fast, the life of 'legacy' data is very short, so we migrated data out of SW via STEP, trying to move assemblies at a time, but on an as needed basis.  We are 100% NX now, and it is rare to venture back into SW.  We would remodel when we could, and use Synchronous Modelling when time required.

One of your biggest obstacles will be the user mentality, some will adapt a lot faster, simply based on how willing they are to change and adapt.  If I may quote John Baker, "In NX, the 'Good News' is there's 10 ways to do anything. The 'Bad News', NINE of them are perfectly valid."

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Experimenter
Experimenter

This has been very helpful Ken...thank you!

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

We have done several migrations from Solidworks/Inventor etc, and have always taken the same approach.

We use Teamcenter, so management of the process is very easy

Lock down your design baseline in solidworks, then export complete assembly structure (we used STEP).

We then imported into Native NX to generate the appropriate NX files

We exported all drawings as PDF's

Everthing was then imported.

In NX/Teamcenter, we then have a complete representation of what was in Solidworks, all be it in Featureless model/PDF format, but importantly the assembly structure is in tact.

If any changes were made, the individual models were edited using Synchronous commands, and a new drawing file created.

for us the key was that we started off in NX/Teamcenter with a complete representation of what came out of Solidworks, which had been locked at teh latest version.

Martyn, Snr CAE Engineer, Renishaw PLC
NX10 Tc10