cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing constraints after moving parts on different level

Legend
Legend

Hi,

I've open an ER when I was on NX 7, but now I'd like to share whit you if it's a time to reopen it again.

Normally, when we start a new project we put parts at the same level and constraints them. After coding, we create a sub-assembly structure. During this process we lose constraints after moving parts on different level.

I can understand for parts that go on different sub-assembly, but if part1 is related with 3 constraints to part2 and they go to sub-assembly1, why they lose constraints ?

SolidWorks that use the same technology doesn't have the problem.

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

17 REPLIES

Re: Losing constraints after moving parts on different level

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I agree with you. I was used to parts keeping relationships after moving together to a different assembly in SE. Very annoying in NX having to create again restrictions every time you modify structure. I hope NX programmers correct it soon.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Have you filed ERs?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@cubalibre00, your original ER was likely linked to 'master' ER 5889853, which currently has the status 'open'.

Regards, Ben

Legend
Legend

Hi @BenBroad,

thank you because I was revising my ER or PR and I didn't found it. Anyway, I searched with this number but I did't find. Can you give me my PR linked to the master ER 5889853 ?

Open :-)... it's easier to win to the lottery ..

Thank you...

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@cubalibre00, perhaps PR 8252156?

Phenom
Phenom

This is why I consider that NX doesn’t take assembly constrains seriously. NX old timers I came across don’t care of about any constrains. They just build the assembly in space and the associative parametric functions are very remote. They avoid, scared or unaware of smart models and assemblies.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Forum/Managing-Assembly-constraints/td-p/4...

I think the constrains demand is coming from new users who migrated from other software and I’m not sure if NX could hear them.

Some of my basic ERs: (Yes they are so basic requirments)

mf_er_20170929.JPG

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Legend
Legend

Hi @mike_fdo,

thank you to share yours ER. I asked to be added to yours.

Thank you...

Legend
Legend

BenBroad wrote:

@cubalibre00, perhaps PR 8252156?

Hi @BenBroad,

the PR is a bit different, but always related to constraints.

Thank you...

Experimenter
Experimenter

I've been using UG over 15 years now and consider myself an UG oldtimer.  I fully understand constraints(also mates - before constraints) and how to make smart models and assemblies.  Assembly constraints are great for inexperienced UG users coming from SolidWorks who don't understant structure in NX.  This is part of the learning curve for new users learning constraints.  I used to mate everything when I first started making smart assemblies then i realized that i was wasting time positioning stuff i didn't have too.  Constraints is a great tool to position stuff and has nothing to do with smart models and assemblies.  I find that inexperienced NX users from SolidWorks think everything should be constrained like in Solidworks which slows you down in design and is a necessity for users from lower end basic software packages to understand