Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAKE SOLID COMMAND

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hello all,

HOW TO USE MAKE SOLID COMMAND.. as it tells us we need to select the sheet boies in order to make it to solid but when I tried to selelct the sheet bodies it was unable to select...!!

Any suggestions???

7 REPLIES

Re: MAKE SOLID COMMAND

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Check the make solid help for specifics. If you have a convergent body, you can use the "unassociative" mode to convert it to a solid. If you have a totally closed sheet body made from features (rare, but it happens), you will need to turn on the "associative" option.

Note that this command will not work for multiple sheet bodies that enclose a volume; in this case, use the "sew" command to sew the multiple sheet bodies into a single body. If the sheets enclose a volume with no gaps, a solid will result.

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

You need a closed sheet body for this to work.

From help documentation:

"Use the Make Solid command to convert any facet or analytic closed sheet bodies to solid bodies."

It doesn't really matter if the body is facet or analytic (imported one or created in NX).

To make this work, you must have a 'totally closed' single sheet body, which is in one way, possible with 'sew' command. But it makes every closed set a solid. Workaround for this (after searching alot) is to force NX to not create any solid bodies. Do this by going into modelling preferences, and selecting sheet instead of solid.

Then create any closed sheet body, sew it, and MAKE SOLID will work.

In case it still doesn't work, make sure the associative option is checked.

Regard,

Paras Raina

Paras Raina
Sr. Application Engineer | Solid Edge ST10 | NX 11
MSC Systems Pvt. Ltd. (India)

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

"It doesn't really matter if the body is facet or analytic (imported one or created in NX)."

Well, actually, yes it does. The help file specifically states:

"Not available for NX facet or JT facet bodies."

You must convert the facet body to a convergent body or it must be a parameterized, water-tight sheet body.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Can you share an example part?

Taylor Anderson
NX Product Manager, Knowledge Reuse and NX Design
Tel: +1 (602) 441-0683
taylor.anderson@siemens.com

This is the sample partfile..where i was trying to use Make Solid Command but i've made as shet bodies using surfacing commands and if we sew it'll become as solid body....

I'm sorry how to attach the part file in this?? i really dont know

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Use the browse button at the bottom @karthik6, while posting a reply or creating a new post. Compress the part file first (zip or rar) or it will not upload (don't know why it doesn't uploads the .prt files.

By the way, I'll upload one part where MAKE SOLID works. Give me a min.

EDIT: Uploaded three files. First, I have created three sheets, making a closed section, but not sewed. Then, I sew the surfaces. At last, I use Make Solid command.

Hope it helps.

Paras Raina
Sr. Application Engineer | Solid Edge ST10 | NX 11
MSC Systems Pvt. Ltd. (India)

Thanks @Paras Smiley Happy It's helpful