Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MBD: What can be controlled with Model Views?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Greetings,

I am helping my company evaluate NX. We primarily use PTC Creo Parametric now.

I am trying to figure out how NX handles MBD, and relate that to what I am used to in Creo. None of my questions below relate to making drawing views.

In Creo there are Combination States which define 3D model views. Each Combination State has the following elements that can be assigned to it, and changed as needed::

View Orientations

Cross Sections

Layer States

Simplified Reps (assembly subsets (not subassemblies))

Also, annotation (Notes, Dimensions, GD&T, etc.) display can be controlled in relation to Combination States.

As far as I can tell, Model Views are the closest thing to Combination States. It looks obvious that NX has a lot of control over which Model Views display which annotations. I also think I have determined that Model Views can have different Layer States assigned. Correct me if I am wrong.

The thing I cannot figure out is if something like Simplified Reps can be added to/associated with Model Views. I see two NX capabilities that might be close to Simplified Reps, and that is Reference Sets and Assembly Arrangements. Can either of these be associated to a Model View?

One of the places this would be needed is detailing individual inseperable assembly parts within the context of an MBD assembly model. It could also have many other uses in MBD.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

15 REPLIES

Re: MBD: What can be controlled with Model Views?

Phenom
Phenom

Can you explain to me what do you mean with MBD?

Thank you

Ciao

Legend
Legend

Model Based Definition (adding PMI)

Genius
Genius

I'm currently using NX 10 (so I'm not sure if NX 11 has the same issues), but there are some different things in NX that I think you should investigate/review before switching over.  I used Pro-E/CREO for 15 plus years.  At my current job, I have used Pro-E for a few projects and have been using NX for about 2 years now.

1. file name extension - As you know, CREO has .prt, .dwg (or is it .drw) and .asm.  Everything in NX is .prt.  In CREO, I could have the part, assembly and drawing with same part number because the extension was different.  Not so in NX.  It's also a pain now to see what is a part, assembly or drawing in NX because they all have the .prt extension.  I've seen long forum posts or tips showing how you could figure out if a .prt was an assembly or a part.  Didn't have to worry about that in CREO.

2. sketcher constraints - spend some time in sketcher creating the sketch for extrusions in modeling mode.  I have found that the constraints are very primitive and cumbersome compared to CREO.  It's not very intuitive.  I have added posts to this forum to get input and people agree that it's primative.  I have had people reply back to posts saying that they have to do repetative steps over and over.  I'd be able to do a quick sketch in CREO and CREO would recognize/understand what I was trying to do.  In NX, I'll do a similar sketch and have to spend a good amount of time fixing or setting the constraints - even though I already have my default constraint preferences set.

3. assembly constraints - spend time assembling components together in assemblies.  What would take me minutes in CREO takes quite a bit longer at times to do the same task in NX- especially if the previous person working in the NX asssembly did not do everything correctly. Try aligning axis or mating to surfaces/datum planes.  Again - I have posted different times on this forum about assembly constraints and people have agreed with me that NX's assembly constraints are primitive.

4. part families - I used family tables a lot in CREO to make similar parts.  At least in NX10, we're forced to use Excel to help create/manage the part families.  For some reason, my NX and Excel no longer communicate.  Our helpdesk (company help desk - not NX help) hasn't been a help for finding a solution, so I've temporarily abandoned using part families.

5. exploded views - at least in NX 10, it seems to me that if  you want to display an exploded view of an assembly in an assembly drawing, you actually have to create that exploded view in the drawing.  While in the drawing, you have to switch to modeling mode and then move the components around as you wish and then save that exploded view.  (If there's a better way, could someone please give recommendations?)

6. memory issues (not mine, but my computer) - on my current computer and at previous jobs, I could have the same session of Pro-E/CREO running for a long time if I am in a large assembly or complex part.  If I was in the middle of a big design change or concept, I'd keep Pro-E running at night and start working on it agan in the morning.  With NX, I start having memory access violations and other memory problems if I keep NX in session over night; so I rarely keep NX running when I leave the office.   Again, I can do that on this computer for Pro-E, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

7. sheet metal - If I recall correctly, in CREO when I was creating a part in sheet metal, I could select different edges to make flanges/tabs on multiple edges at one time.  At least for me, I haven't been able to do so in NX.  If I'm working in sheet metal and I want to make a similar flange on different edges, I have to repeat the command several times. I can only select one edge at a time.  By this, I am referring to separate single edges that are stand alone and not connected or tangent to each other.

8. Overall user friendliness - hopefully improvements have been made after NX 10.  Another user did a post on this forum stated that there's a lot of fancy things going on with NX10, but thought that the programmers for NX 10 didn't actually have to use it.  When working in model/assembly mode, I'm frequently having to move pop-up windows out of the way because they pop up right where I'm trying to work.

9.  Drawing views - In Pro-E/CREO, I would use simplified reps extensively.  They were very helpful and useful.  In NX, I do use the Assembly Arrangements a lot.  No one else that I work with at this company  has even tackled using them yet.  They've all just tried to control their drawings/assemblies by using layers.   The assembly arrangements haven't been too bad to work with.   One thing that I haven't been able to solve yet is that if I add a drawing view to a drawing and have the model brought in as one arrangement, I haven't found a way to edit that view later on and change it to a different arrangement. (If I decided that I wanted a door open instead of closed or wanted a component in a different location).  Instead, I have to delete the view and bring the model in with the different arrangment.  (If someone has a fix/recommendation for it to work correctly, please let me know).

I know I didn't answer your question about model views.  I don't think I have an answer for that.  Throughout most of the time that I've been writing this post, I've been waiting for an NX drawing to update views and then save, so I haven't been able to access NX.

I'm sure there are more things that are worth reviewing/checking out.  Again, these were just the daily things that I remembered quickly that I have to deal with.  Thanks

Phenom
Phenom

The remarks made by @s_hightower are certainly true but these are the result of those who want to transfer the ways to use in the same way from one system to another.

I'm working with a colleague who used Pro/E CREO for almost twenty years, he changed his opinion about NX in just six months. ;-)

Cesare

Genius
Genius

Actually, @Cesare,  I was looking forward to using a different software.  I've used CREO and other softwares for many years.  I definitely knew that there were problems with CREO and really wanted to see what else other software had to offer. I coiuld have made a list for concerns with CREO, too.

With that, I do believe my concerns are valid - and even agreed upon by others who are "phenoms" and other users in this forum.  It might not be good to pass judgement on someone or a discussion without getting facts.  It's very possible that wrong conclusions can be made.  I haven't decreed other person's intentions.  I can't tell from someone's post what their intent is (neither can you).   I was only giving factors to judge and evaluate before someone switched from one software to another. 

Phenom
Phenom

@s_hightower

I completely agree with you and please forgive me if anything in my post anojed you, I didn't mean it.

I have taught UG-NX to many people, and I know how difficult it is to switch from one sistem to another.

I hope I can give you all the help I can though this forum.

Ciao

Cesare

Genius
Genius

@Cesare,  Yes, thank you very  much for your reply back.  I sincerely do appreciate it.  That means a lot to me.  Thank you, as well, for your offer to help in the future.

I do really appreciate people who help others with working with and learning CAD  softwares.  They have been instrumental in helping me when I have learned new softwares or when I have encountered new challenges with more complex tasks.  I'm definitely not an expert in NX, but I do try to help co-workers when I can.

At previous companies, I've helped more than one co-worker who has completely hated Pro-E.  (One of my co-workers and friends was from another country and his accent was strong enough that I didn't realize he was swearing at the computer when I was trying to help him.  He's a very intelligent guy and he hates Pro-E with a passion.  We'd joke about him having to use that software.  Those were interesting/fun times....) 

Thank you again!

Pioneer
Pioneer

#9 Drawing views - Arrangements. We use arangements in drawings and find them very useful and powerful. The arrangement can be selected by:

In the Drawing file go to the Assembly Navigator. Right click on the assembly that you wish to change, and then select arangement. HTH

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao to everyone,

I will advise you to look at the Advanced Assembly commands such as Zones, Representation and Show Component Groups in the Assembly Navigator, in addition to the already mentioned commands as Layer Setting, Layer Visible in View, Arrangements, Replace vs Oriet View, Reference Set and so on.

Ciao

Cesare