Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making Customer Defaults master over Preferences

Creator
Creator

I have read some discussions on this matter, but I've never found a clear answer.

Is it possible to make the Customer Defaults (site) master over the in-part Preferences?

I mean that all Preferences (Modeling, Drafting, Object,...) follow directly from the Customer Defaults.

I know in Drafting there is some functionality to inherit certain object settings (Annotation, View,...) from the Customer Defaults. This is not the case for Modeling. The update of template parts Preferences is tedious click-work and prone to overlook some settings.

I would like to manage all site settings on one location.

I'm using NX11 with TC10.

2 REPLIES

Re: Making Customer Defaults master over Preferences

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

There are 2 types of customer defaults

- session settings - "always" used (possibly subject to dialog memory)

- part settings - *only* used when creating a part FROM SCRATCH (i.e. you start with the "blank" templates in the "File -> New" dialog)

-- note that in Teamcenter you pretty much ALWAYS start from a template part

If you want to manage all settings in one place, I recommend you look at the "NXCustom" thread in the "NX programming & customization" forum.  Download the ZIP for your version, and read the "readme" at the top level of the un-zipped folder structure.

If you have multiple sites worldwide (and don't want to use UNCs across a WAN), set up one as the master, and use automated copy tools to replicate it to the other sites. (ViceVersa, SureSync, Robocopy, and their ilk)

I would recommend using a source code control system (e.g. CVS or SVN or ...) to do version control of the customization structure, so you know what changed, and when, and who did it.  If a text file, you can even see exactly what changed using the DIFF utilities.  (Part files, unfortunately, are binary)

The other option is to create a journal to set everything correctly & run the journal.  Pretty much self documenting...

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Re: Making Customer Defaults master over Preferences

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @SteffenDS,

Is it possible to make the Customer Defaults (site) master over the in-part Preferences?

I mean that all Preferences (Modeling, Drafting, Object,...) follow directly from the Customer Defaults.

Not for existing parts, no.  The only way to get new parts to read 100% of the CD's is to use 'blank' templates when creating new parts.

As @Ken_A mentions, some CD's are owned by the part and cannot be overwritten, others are session specific.  One way to establish whether a CD is part or session is to use the 'Find Default' command in the CD UI.  The last column in the results, titled "Scope", will list either Session or Part.

I would like to manage all site settings on one location.

Take a look at Levels of Customer Defaults and also see if NXCustom works for you.  While new part templates can be managed in Teamcenter, CD's cannot.

Regards, Ben