cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making a faceted part

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

I am designing a faceted head for a project. But first I'd like to know what the best way is to handle this in NX 11 since I want to 3D print it. My first idea was to just make datum planes on the right spots and extrude the faces but that seems like a lot of work for this. Is there another, easier way to become something like this? Maybe just extruding the rough shape and substract piece by piece out of it? 

I attached some sketches from what I would like to have. Any tips or tricks are appreciated! 

With kind  regards

KissThecook

8 REPLIES

Re: Making a faceted part

Experimenter
Experimenter

Nobody has an idea?

Phenom
Phenom

What is the data now, facet body, sheet body, or solid?

Facet or solid, I'd just export an STL and print.  If it's a sheet, I'd try to sew it into a solid.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Experimenter
Experimenter

No, the added pictures are just drawings I made.

Phenom
Phenom

I think you're going to have to make a bunch of planes and sketches then.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Experimenter
Experimenter

Alright, a lot of work ahead then! 

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I have 2 ideas, neither of them great...

• Find a model of a head online, import into NX and scale as necessary. Export from NX to STL; try different facet values to get a low poly model as output (exporting to .jt and trying different options may get a similar result). Pros: semi-fast results, Cons: no fine control of the output, you won't really be able to say "I modelled this".
  • Make top, front, and right side sketches similar to those attached to your first post; import them into NX and use them as guides to place points in 3D space where the vertices would be. Use associative line objects to create your large facet faces then use "bounded plane" to create a triangular plane. Lather, rinse, repeat then sew all the "facet" sheet bodies together to create a solid. Export to a format suitable for your 3D printer. Pros: precise control of the result; Cons: tedious creation and editing of the model.

NX probably isn't the best tool for this particular use case. Modeling tools used for 3d animation (such as Blender) may offer a more productive toolset for these types of models.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

try to find a STL file of a face (thingiverse can help)

Import that in NX and if you have de reverse engineering tools you can use decimate to get less facets surfaces.

(view in My Videos)

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

I agree with Ruud, try and find a stock part on line and use the reverse engineering tools inside NX to achieve what you want. If you have NX 11 then you will have more tools for working with Facet/Convergent bodies.

Regards

Paul