cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual Wrap (Keep Base Dimensions)

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

I am trying to wrap an rectangle (100mmx10mm) on toroidal surface but I would like to get the same length of the curves after wrapping.

What I have tried:

• "Wrap/Unwrap Curve" - option works only with developable surfaces. In this case it is non-developable surface.
  • "Flattening&Forming" - option give the results which are not acceptable (see image bellow)
  • "Global Shaping" - option give the best results (see image bellow)

flattening&forming.PNGglobalshaping.PNG

Do you have some other better way to get the results that I expecting?

Also, Is it somehow possible to set startpoint in Global Shaping function, but not as I have defined? (using formula to make deformed sheet symetric: Shift=CurveLength/2-RectangleLength/2)

Any help is very appreciated!

Best regards,

Danijel

7 REPLIES

Re: Manual Wrap (Keep Base Dimensions)

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @danijelVR,

Try the Project Curve command:

Screenshot - 9_22_2017 , 7_15_32 AM.png

Regards, Ben

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Ben,

Thank you very much for providing this solution.

I have changed a dimensions of the rectangle to 180x200. Something that I noticed is the difference between the results according to position of the placed XY Origin in Source Plane Definition.

• If I place the origin at midpoint of the line, the results are not acceptable.
  • If I place the cursor at the start/end point of the same line the results are better but, one length is 200,0002 which is good but the length of the line at the oposit side is 204.8859, which is still not good.

Origin at midpointOrigin at midpointOrigin at start/end pointOrigin at start/end point

For small size geometry object the results are acceptable by using Project Curve option or Global Shaping option. For big size geometry objects I have not found yet a solution.

Regards,

Danijel

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The problem is you are trying to do something that (IMO) there is no "analytic" solution (involving no deformation). 

You will need to stretch/deform the curves SOMEHOW.

I don't know if there is a mathematical solution to your problem.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom

I completed a similar study for a customer 3 years ago who was looking for a perfect mapping from a linear surface to a somewhat complex 3D surface.  We compared the results of Global Shaping, Project Curve and Metaform, all of which came very close to the original curve lengths.  None of them produced an *identical* projection, similar to wrapping a decal.

Regards, Ben

Pioneer
Pioneer

@Ken_A

I agree with you. I am not searching for the mathematical solution, I am just trying to test which funcion in NX give the best results in those situation.

P.S. Can someone help me to wrap rectangle 180x200 on the surface in the attached .prt BUT using Global Shaping by Surface option? I have done it by curve (twice because there is a bending in two directions). I have tried by surface but I didn't have success.

Regadrs,

Danijel

Siemens Phenom

See attached.  I used the edge lengths of "Revolve (2)" (Length Measurement (3) and Length Measurement (4) to create "Sketch (10)" for "Fill Surface (11)" - assuming no deformation.  The new Fill Surface was then used for the Base Surface when creating Global Shaping (12).

Regards, Ben

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi @BenBroad,

Thank you very much for clear explanation. Now I know how to use "Global Shaping by surface" option.

Regards,

Danijel