cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass Edit NX Server and Bundle Settings & Default Working Directory for 200 Computers

Pioneer
Pioneer

We have about 200 computers in our university labs that will run NX 11.0.1. We have set up the servers and everything on the server side is OK.

However, we don't want to login all computers one by one and set the NX Server using Licence Tool. We can send any file to these computers using a moderator computer at once.

Is there a way of setting the server environment settings and bundle settings via a file or via any means?

Question-2: We also want to change the default working folder from C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 11.0\UGII to a different place at once. Is there a way of doing this at once for all 200 computers?

4 REPLIES

Re: Mass Edit NX Server and Bundle Settings & Default Working Directory for 200 Computers

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

A few different ways I can think of.

1. Registry

If you've been using the licensing tool to set bundle & variable for NX11, then those settings will most likely be in the Windows Registry.

If you set one system correctly and export the registry (only need the specific keys), you can then set a startup script on your systems, to import/force the registry keys into the registry.

I used to do this a long time ago for setting things in NX, that at the time could only be done via registry.

2. Batch file

Create a windows batch file that starts NX, but also sets the variables before NX starts.

NX Custom. From the description: 'NXcustom is a template to be used for centrally deploying an NX configuration in a Windows environment. It provides a set of tools and templates that makes it easy to configure the NX environment by a CAD administrator without the need to edit any files in the NX installation folder.'

Link to the forum thread: NXcustom Utilities

3. ENV file

You can create a single env_file, that specifies variables for NX. Then set a single variable on all client systems that tells NX to read this env_file. Put the env_file in a central location that all systems can see.

So in future, any mods can be made by editing a single file, which then applies to all systems.

I personally use this method, so I can run all the different versions of NX that I need for testing.

Which if the above suits, is up to you, Each has it's pros & cons.

Either method requires a bit of thought & setup, but once done, will make life easier in future.

Anthony Galante - Senior Support Engineer - PhoenxPLM (Australia & New Zealand Siemens Solutions Partner)
http://www.phoenxplm.com.au/email/2014_signature/signature_videoCenter.jpg

Re: Mass Edit NX Server and Bundle Settings & Default Working Directory for 200 Computers

Pioneer
Pioneer
thank you

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

A couple things to note -

If you set something in the registry (particularly license server/bundle), you can NOT over-ride that value with an ENV variable.  You must delete the registry setting entirely, before NX will start using the ENV setting

I second using the NXCustom as your customization architecture.

Note if you have a desktop icon to start NX using the NXCustom environment, make sure to remove/edit the "Start" menu icons to start NX (if you don't, some users will use them, and wonder why stuff doesn't work ...)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Might be better to move this thread to the customization forum, since it isn't really a modeling or drafting question, but an administrative one.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community