Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material in a PMI note

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I have evernything in place, to populate drawings with the material asigned in the model file (master model, in Teamcenter)

Now my question...I have a PMI note in our model seed file, and I want to include the material, but since it's the seed file, the NX_Material attribute, hasn't been created, and I don't seem to be able to manually create it.  How do I get around that, so my PMI note is self populating?

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
13 REPLIES

Re: Material in a PMI note

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Can you add it to an attribute catalog?

So it "exists" but is not "defined"

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Gears Phenom

Added it to the Attribute Template, but still not able to add it to the part file via File, Properties, Attributes, OR select it when editing the note itself.  Or, operator error.

-Dave

Legend
Legend

Hi
If you want to create Material PMI for piece Part (not for assemly components).
Please try as below.

1. open seed part.
2. create Block
3. Assign Meterial
4. Create Note
    4-1. Insert Note [PMI > Note]
    4-2. Select 'Insert part Attribute' from Note dialogue [Simbol Category : Relationship]
    4-3. Select 'Material' Attribute
          (You can see <WRef1*0@NX_Material> in input field. you can input additional text.)
         ex) - ID : <WRef1*0@DB_PART_NO>
               - Name : <WRef2*0@DB_PART_NAME>
               - Material : <WRef3*0@NX_Material>
    4-4. Place the note.

5. Delete 'Block' Feature.
6. Save and close seed part

When you create new part with seed part,
Material field will empty until you assign Material to any body.

Sunkap Ahn, Senior Support Engineer

logo

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

The material part attribute is automatically assigned to the part attribute after a material has been assigned to a body in the part. So as a workaround which you may/may not like, within the template file, you could create a tiny sheet body in an invisible layer (e.g. 255). assign a default material to it and give it a name like 'ignore me'. Then you can greate the PMI note and link it to the part material attribute. Since it is a sheet body, it should not affect the mass calculations of your model.

When you create a new part, the note will already be populated with the default material you assigned to the dummy. After you create the model body for each part, assign the appropriate material to it. The new material should overwrite the original default material you added in the template and the PMI note will update.

(view in My Videos)

Regards,
Abe

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

@DaveK Having seen @SKAHN response, I hadn't thought about deleting the body but it works. So his response is better than mine.

Regards,
Abe

Gears Phenom

Thank you @SKAHN and @Abeinjapan !!

-Dave

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @DaveK,

I'm surprised @Ken_A's attribute catalog solution did not work for you.  I've attached a movie showing how to set this up.  What's convenient is that you can manage the attributes in a separate xml file outside of NX.  What I don't show in the movie is that you have to select the Dialog Options (gear icon) on the dialog to see the Export to Catalog action.

Regards, Ben

(view in My Videos)

Gears Phenom

Thanks @BenBroad, I'll give that a look.  I've got things working, so I may not mess with it too much, for fear of breaking it, LOL

-Dave

Gears Phenom

ok @BenBroad, as I said, it's owrking, so I've opted not to mess with it, but I am now trying to get MassPropWeight mapped over to the drawing.

I was watching the PheonxPLM video on this, and I recall doing this for other things on the past, but now I don't see the "Refernce Text" button, in the attribute dialog.   Did htey change this, with the new Bluk Edit mode?

MissingButton.JPG

vs my dialog:

MyDialog.JPG

-Dave